Day 1 - Albi to Villeneuve-sur-Tarn - Schnooks Tackles the Tarn - Tandem Tour - Sept 2023 - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2023

Day 1 - Albi to Villeneuve-sur-Tarn

Heart 0 Comment 0

I don’t know about anyone else, but first days are always rough for us.  There’s so much “logistics” involved, along with the constant threat of having forgotten something critical.   In the end, I did NOT forget the S&S coupler wrench, our shoes, or anything else.  But there were a few moments of panic before everything got sorted out.  It doesn’t make for a calm, leisurely departure.

Nonetheless, we rolled off at the (for us) impressive hour of 1045.  Albi was jumping.  Cars and pedestrians everywhere!  We joined in the fun, following a nice bike lane over the bridge to the other side of the river and then heading east away from the hubbub.

Leaving the very fancy hotel
Heart 4 Comment 0

The first 45 minutes were spent navigating through the suburbs of Albi on mostly quiet streets.  We did have some exciting traffic moments around the suburban shopping malls but we were pretty quickly out of town and on a quiet riverside road.

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was hot today, but not ridiculously so.  The high was around 32 degrees and the wind kept us ventilated if not cool.   We’re also both suffering from post-covid fatigue, so today was a day for low energy expenditure.  We took lots of breaks and walked a bit of the 12% hill that popped up at km 18.

Heart 7 Comment 0

We were along the river all day but viewing opportunities were limited by the trees and undergrowth along the road.   The trees did provide some welcome shade, though.

Heart 3 Comment 0
This bridge provided a handy place to stop, sit, and cool off.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Selfie time!
Heart 8 Comment 0

We rolled into Ambialet about 1300 and had lunch at the cute little cafe there. 

Heart 4 Comment 0

The shade, food, and drink hit the spot and Rich was ready to stay for the night.  But Robin wisely pointed out that we had a prepaid reservation elsewhere.  So back onto the bike for the final km of the day.  The views opened up a bit above Ambialet, so we had some nice photo ops with the river.

The Tarn on a hot September afternoon
Heart 5 Comment 0
The village of Courris across the river
Heart 3 Comment 0

We rolled up to the Logis Hostellerie des Lauriers just before 1500.  We were instantly and cheerfully installed in our room, and Schnooks was stowed safely downstairs.

The Hotel
Heart 5 Comment 0

Given our state of fatigue and the heat, we chilled for most of the afternoon.  But around 1730 it seemed to be cooling off.  So we went out to explore around the hotel.  The village was very quiet as we wandered down toward the bridge

Heart 6 Comment 0
The Tarn from the Trébas bridge
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lazy evening river and light
Heart 2 Comment 0

That about all the extra energy we expended this afternoon.  Dinner was on the terrace behind the hotel.  The wind died down and we had a lovely menu in the quiet warm evening, along with the 6 or 7 other people staying tonight.  

Dinner on the terrace
Heart 5 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyHappy Birthday Robin, safe travels this week you two. We will be following along! I am sorry to hear you caught Covid in Montreal! And sorry to have missed you. We only spent the night of the 23rd in the city before heading up north for the weekend and then back to New Brunswick. Hope to see you there visiting your daughter the next time or perhaps in France!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 45 km (28 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonHave you got lights with you? There are some significant tunnels ahead on the tarn if I remember correctly. Maybe they’re all wlll-lit by now, but they weren’t 25 years ago.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Rachael AndersonGreat job dealing with the heat and the climbing after having Covid!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago