Oristano to Barumini - Springtime Spin in Sardinia 2019 - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2019

Oristano to Barumini

This has to be another quick post since I’ve run into a case of internet hiccups again. Today we rode from Oristano into the breadbasket of Sardinia to Barumini, the site of the most significant Nuraghic settlement in the country. The temperatures are definitely on the rise and this has a big impact on staying adequately hydrated, as you can imagine. So, here goes the story in pictures. 

Cathedral di Santa Maria Assunta, bell tower. Oristano. This is one of 11 churches within the centro storico.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith ClassenGreat blue sky!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The farmer was selling fruit and veggies from a trailer behind his tractor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We tried to pay for an orange, but the farmer said ‘no’ and handed me another orange. They were probably the best oranges I have eaten in a long time.
Heart 4 Comment 0
More rice paddies in this low lying area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rolling on through gentle hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The roads through this town had been completely renovated in flat volcanic (?) stones with a ribbon of small cobbles down the centre to connect the drains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We see many houses and buildings in this unfinished state. On can only wonder about all the reasons. In any case, it’s interesting to see how their houses are built.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a typical road for this region. Very little traffic today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stumbled upon this cooking school, where you can sign up for a 60 hr class in bread making. I was ready to register but it takes place in January.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kitty was guarding the cooking school entrance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At one of our rest stops, I peered down and saw this huge bee with gorgeous metallic blue wing and black body lying upside down on the roadway. It had been hit by a car and was injured. I turned it over and moved it off the road. Hopefully it recovered.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Scott AndersonFunny (the coincidence, not that he’s injured). I tried to take a photo of one of these giants today with my zoom camera, but just then it’s battery died.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Su Nuraxi is a Nuraghic settlement dating back to 1500BC.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We arrived just in time to join 3 other couples on the 2pm guided tour.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This schematic shows the size of the village. There is much more excavation to be done to reveal the whole village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was an oven.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Water represents life and here they would gather in a circle to pray to the ‘gods’.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the original doorways through the 7m thick wall that surrounded the 21m tall tower
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dwellings were all round and had peaked wooden/thatch roofs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
These horizontal stones are where the floor would have been.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
These finely honed, cantilever shaped, volcanic stones are from the upper parts of the tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The central nuraghe tower was 21 meters tall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Volcanic stones make a nice home for lizards. Probably snakes too.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith ClassenThose guys don’t stay still long making it difficult to get a good shot. Great one!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like a wall lizard. Possibly a Tyrrhenian wall lizard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrhenian_wall_lizard
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Pleased to meet you, Mr. Skink. You have nice smooth skin, but my goodness you have tiny hands.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like a skink to me. Digging around on the internet, looks like it might be an ocellated bronze skink.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/53645-Chalcides-ocellatus/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Anne MathersTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks, you’re a wizard. This is the first skink I have seen. His legs looked like little stumps, which had me stumped 🤔. He was in no hurry to move. We actually saw another one yesterday. It crossed the road ahead of is but at half the speed of the local lizards.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
These volcanic stones are all shaped to ‘interlock’ on the inside of the wall. Amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After our tour of the Nuraghi, we cruised down the hill to our B&B in Barumini. The town was dead, save for a couple of bars jammed with smoking men (that sounds funny but that’s what they do).  We tried to find a restaurant or even a market, but the only place open was a tired hotel where we were the only two patrons in the large dining room. It was a bit weird to say the least, but they fed us ravioli and we left feeling grateful to them for cooking us a meal.

Our B&B in Barumini.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 991 km (615 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Patty BarronI am absolutely blown away by the info & your photos of the Nuraghic settlement! How fascinating & amazing!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago