Let the Journey Begin - Springtime Spin in Sardinia 2019 - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2019

Let the Journey Begin

Our tour of Sicily in 2018 was such a fabulous adventure that it was easy to decide on Sardinia as this year’s destination. Another Italian island in the Mediterranean just seemed like a natural fit. So, we bought our tickets in early January and set our sights on Sardinia.  The training schedule was not up to the usual standard this year, nevertheless, I  managed to get in 1000 km of training rides and regular circuit training and yoga classes to round out the  fitness. Thinking back on our fitness regimens, I have often thought that we don’t pay enough attention to rest, which is when the re-building takes place. This year, we will see the effect of more rest on our overall fitness.

Part of the preparation for the tour is to have the garden all prepped so it can look after itself for a month. A neighbour will cut the grass. The veggies and flowers are on their own.

Annuals are planted in their pots.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Veggie seeds are tucked in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rhododendrons are in full bloom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The garlic is heading skyward.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bees are happy.
Heart 2 Comment 0

David always gives our Bike Fridays a good going over so they are up to the challenge of a rugged month of riding. This year I needed a new derailleur, chain and cog, and a new set of cleats for the shoes. His bike didn’t really need any more than a tune up. I am forever grateful for his mechanical skills as it gives me confidence in my bike as I am on the road.

Our friend, Leslie, had kindly offered to drive us to the airport today. But, first we had to drop off our Jack Russell at the Pawsh Oasis, her home away  from home.  Then we were off to the Victoria International airport. We flew AirCanada to Vancouver, then Lufthansa to Frankfurt where we transferred to our final flight of this leg, to Barcelona. 

Ahhh, holidays.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We are now tucked in at our hotel in el Prat de Llobregat, near the Barcelona airport. When we arrived, our body clocks were telling us it was 6am and time for breakfast. Of course, Lufthansa served us breakfast 6 hrs ago! So after a 1 hr snooze, we headed out for dinner.

Does beer counter jet lag?
Heart 6 Comment 2
Keith ClassenLooks like a perfect start to your ride!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Patrick O'HaraAbsolutely, it does!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We found a great, vibrant kebab shop not far from the hotel where we both had a kebab platter and beer. It was fun to watch the chefs making the kebab orders and the hubub of locals, dropping by and visiting while waiting for their take-out dinner. 

This year, we have several friends who happen to be cycle touring here in Europe at the same time so we checked in on their blogs then called it a day, a long but satisfying and successful first day.

Tomorrow morning we do the final leg, a 90 minute flight to Cagliari, Sardinia.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Scott AndersonUmm - geography check, folks. You’re in Spain. Sardinia’s in Italy, and there’s a bit of water in between. Great to see you on the road again though. Buon viaggiio!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Patrick O'HaraThe answer is yes....Beer does cure jetlag! Hi Anne. Patrick and Susanna from Vancouver here. Looks like Scott beat me to commenting on your journal. Trying to keep up with all of you. The Klassan's, The Grampies, The Anderson's, The Gaudet's and now, The Mather's!!! Great to see you on the road too. All of us from the Cascadia region! Looking forward to following along, as Sardinia has been on our short list for sometime! Tail winds!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensHi Anne,
We will have a limited time in Sardinia, Porto Torres to Cagliarli....
What would you highly recomment? Best to go down West side or East side? Thanks
Racpat
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersTo Rachel and Patrick HugensHi,

That’s a tough question to answer. The only area to truly avoid is the industrial coastline along the southwest coast to Cagliari. That’s easy enough to do on a train. I think we caught it in Carbonia?
If you are there now, the winds might be worth taking into consideration.

The other area we didn’t care for was Muravera, but it was more to do with our experience there I think. It was a Sunday and we just got a weird feeling about the place. Oh, and Barumini where the Su Nuraxi is located. They have an amazing nuraghi there which is worth seeing but no tourist services in the town. I think everyone who comes to see the nuraghi does a day trip from Cagliari.

Highlights in Sardinia would be places like Cagliari itself and the National Archaeological Museum, La Maddelena Island, Castelsardo, the beaches along the east coast, the climb to and down from Genna Silana, Bosa, Pina Monne’s painted murals in Sunni, Flussio and Tinnura, Oristano, Carolforte on Isola San Pietro (although you have to hold your nose and look the other way as you approach the ferry terminal.. the industrial complex is something else!). Olbia is a nice enough place but it is a hub and it was a bit busy for us. Nevertheless the coast south of Olbia and right on down the east side is so beautiful.

There is a crazy hill between Arbus and Buggeru if you decide to go that way on your way south. It’s ok going up but it was so steep I had to walk a good chunk of it to get down (no disc brakes). Still, it was worth it. Just don’t try going north along that section!

So, the highlights are smattered around the island really. Sardinia has quite a story, both ancient and more recent) that few know about. It is overlooked by north american tourists and it is not high up on the bucket list for travellers. We loved the people but that’s usually the case when we travel. Food was so-so, with a few exceptions.

Don’t know if this was helpful. Enjoy the ride wherever it takes you.

Cheers,
Anne
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo David MathersThanks Anne, very helpful especially the highlights. We will not be here until Next April most likely. Is there a camping infrastructure, or did you mostly do B & B?
We plan on a ferry from Barcelona to Porto Torres and moving through to then go to Sicily before crossing the boot of Italy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersWe didn't camp on this trip however, I believe Sardinia is popular with Europeans who like to camp. We rode past two campgrounds that I can recall. One was north of Alghero, a great spot. The other was on the island, San Pietro I think. It seemed a bit isolated and was packed to the gills because people also flocked to the same beach, which was gorgeous. You have much to look forward to. Having said that, it could be chilly in April.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo David MathersThanks again, agree one never knows anymore what the weather will be as it doesn't seem to be as predictable.
Another advice question: your take on getting a fully loaded bike onto the Sardinia trains.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Anne MathersI think you will be fine taking the bikes on the train. Although, it is up to the discretion of the conductor. These trains do not run with Swiss efficiency so you get what you get. Don't expect to find spacious areas for your bikes and you will be ok.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Anne MathersTo Anne MathersWe discovered there are about six or seven named winds in Sardinia. It gets hit from every side, but the fiercest are the Mistral, Tramontana and the Scirroco. We never experienced the Libiccio, which I guess is a real b****! When these hit, you just hunker down like everyone else.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago