Day 7: L’Isle Jourdain to Rochechouart - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2022

Day 7: L’Isle Jourdain to Rochechouart

After a restful night, we were ready to tackle the day ahead and were quite content that it was a shorter day. Skies are blue and the temperature is perfect for another day in the saddle. 

Anne & Keith, our hosts
Heart 1 Comment 0

Keith’s goal when he retired was to have a hotel. After searching for a year and a half, they bought this property and did the renovations necessary for him to provide the accommodations he feels travelers should experience. The property consists of bedrooms in the main house plus some gîtes. They can accommodate up to 16 people. If you are ever in this area, it is a must-stay place. 

On the viaduct looking back at the chambre d’hôtes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Goodbye L’Isle Jourdain - hope to visit you next time!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Since we didn’t visit the village, we must go back someday!

The racetrack our hosts told us about
Heart 0 Comment 0

This coming weekend the track will be hosting a vintage car rally. Sure wish we could see that!  Anyway, we rode in and nosed around. It’s a great track with lots of corners.  

The stretch coming from pit row
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many corners
Heart 0 Comment 0

Time to pull Chuck away and pedal onwards. 

Today’s cows
Heart 3 Comment 0
Churches are becoming much simpler
Heart 1 Comment 0
Countryside as we ride along the Vienne
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quiet country roads
Heart 1 Comment 0

The road was quiet, but we did have to pull off twice to allow tractors pulling trailers to pass by. It appears they were harvesting the corn fields. 

Beautiful cow with a brindle colored and dotted hide
Heart 2 Comment 0

I made Chuck stop so I could take these photos. These girls were beautiful!

A Dalmatian looking cow
Heart 2 Comment 2
Sanna PhinneyI know! Right?!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ruins above Saint Germain de Confolens
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we stood on the bridge crossing La Vienne, we decided to not climb the hill to see the chateau ruins today. 

La Vienne
Heart 5 Comment 0

Peaceful river photo taken from the middle of the bridge. 

Scarecrow at work over the small vineyard
Heart 1 Comment 0
Apparently the birds require a second scarecrow
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heaven on earth
Heart 5 Comment 0

When we rode into the small village of Exideuil, we found this covered plaza and just had to stop. It was a perfect spot to eat our picnic lunch. The 4 British gentlemen we’ve been seeing each day rode past once again. We may lose contact now since they’re staying elsewhere. 

Love the renovated phone booth
Heart 3 Comment 1
kath vowlesOld British telephone boxes turn up in the most unlikely places😁. Very pretty setting
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lunchtime with a converted phone booth (now a library)
Heart 3 Comment 0
This planter photo is for my mother!
Heart 2 Comment 0
This planter photo is for Pauline!
Heart 1 Comment 0

This village wins for most beautiful flower displays. 

Romanesque style churches don’t have windows so they’re very dark inside.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Last Supper stone carving
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our next stop is to view a living archeological site: Cassinomagus, a Gallo- Roman thermal bath complex. 

The floor of the heated bath
Heart 1 Comment 0

The pattern seen is where tiles were once placed on the swimming pool floor.  Along all four sides of this pool were tunnels that heat came through from the wood stoked ovens. 

Close up of how floors were constructed
Heart 2 Comment 0

Floors consisted of a layer that resembles today’s concrete topped by tile. Under the floors were a complicated duct system for the heat transfer from the ovens. 

Oven room
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were 6 ovens in this room that provided the heat to the baths. This is an opening to one of the ovens.  Below shows another oven. 

Another oven
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding along with a group of locals into Rochechouart
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just a village house
Heart 1 Comment 0

After checking into our little hotel (the only hotel in town), we walked around town. 

Frescoes in Église de Saint Pierre
Heart 2 Comment 0
More frescoes
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was 5:30pm and the caretaker was locking up. 

Chateau de Rochechouart
Heart 4 Comment 0

Château de Rochechouart is a thirteenth-century French castle, located at the top of the confluence of the Grêne and Vayres rivers in the commune of Rochechouart within the department of Haute-Vienne.

Draw bridge entry
Heart 5 Comment 0
Interior courtyard
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonInteresting columns. France is so incredible. There’s no end to places like this.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyI know! We’re so happy to be finally seeing these things after waiting these past few years.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
There’s a lion carved in the wall
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fancy yard art
Heart 1 Comment 0

The chateau houses an art museum, but we’re too late to visit it. However, this piece was in the courtyard. We couldn’t figure it out. It’s a person wrapped around the tree trunk, but it is also attached to the object to the left. Any ideas?

When we checked into our hotel, they asked if we wanted dinner reservations. We said sure. It was a wise decision since there weren’t any other places around town that were open. 

Funny tidbit:  While waiting for dinner and nursing a pression (draught beer), a couple we met at breakfast on Day 3 joined us.  We compared notes on our different routes to Nice. Then we learned that Sue had been to Foix cycling. And to top it off she stayed at Cycle Pyrenees that was owned by our friends, Ian & Bea.  Small world! 

We weren’t expecting much for dinner, but we were surprised by the great meal offered by this little hotel. My entree was grilled watermelon and tuna with salad. 

My entree
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chuck’s entrée
Heart 2 Comment 0

Chuck’s entree was polenta with magret fumé.  Our main plat was beef tournedos- delicious!  We ate it before taking a picture. Amazing dinner!

Day 7: L’Isle Jourdain to Rochechouart
Heart 1 Comment 0

Stats: 62.6 kilometers 725 meters elevation

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 850 km (528 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 1
rod dayGlad to hear from you again. We were starting to get woried! x
Reply to this comment
1 year ago