Day 8: Rochechouart to Brantome - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2022

Day 8: Rochechouart to Brantome

We were up bright and early … and it wasn’t too bright. By the time we finished breakfast and we’re packed, the rain started. So we diddle-dallied and after 20 minutes it had subsided and dried enough so we set off. 

Today’s route was described as simple - just one road. It was winding and went through forests and fields and forests and fields and forests and fields.   The forests were filled with sweet chestnut and oak trees. 

The long road to the forest
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our first excursion off route took us into the small village of Champniers-et-Reilhac to see distinctive Dordogne architecture used on churches. 

Village church in Champniers-et-Reilhac
Heart 5 Comment 0
Artwork in front of a cafe
Heart 3 Comment 0

After a few circles, we made our way back to the designated route for the day. We rode through more chestnut and oak forests before arriving near Piégut-Pluviers where we went off route in search of a 23 meter high donjon tower built on a granite mound. 

Donjon tower
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stairs within the tower
Heart 4 Comment 0
Climbing the remains of the circular staircase
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonDoesn’t look at all precarious.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After we finished exploring the donjon, we sat at the base for our lunch. The day remained cool enough to keep the extra layers on, but the rain never fell from the sky. 

Interior walls
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back on the road again
Heart 1 Comment 0
Each bend begins to look the same
Heart 2 Comment 0

The stretch of road between Nontron and Brantome wasn’t fun. Heavy traffic including a lot of trucks. Surely there are better roads in this area. If anyone is planning this sojourn, we recommend rerouting today’s route. 

Hostellerie de Périgord Vert
Heart 2 Comment 0

Home sweet home for 2 days. We’ve made it to our first layover day. 

The Dronne in the late afternoon light
Heart 7 Comment 2
kath vowlesI'm looking forward to knowing what you think of Brantome, we should be stopping there overnight ourselves in a couple of weeks 🙂
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyBrantome is definitely worth spending time checking it out. Will you still have the camping car when you’re there?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Couldn’t resist this shot as we were crossing the river heading into town for a beer or ice cream.  It’s really pretty here. 

Pizza!
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThanks for the restaurant recommendation! We expect to be in Brantome ourselves later this month.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyWhatever you do, don’t ride south out of Nontron to Brantome on the main road - toooooo busy. And the other excellent restaurant in Brantome is Au Fil du Temps. Delicious!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We opted for casual dining and found a highly recommended pizza joint housed in a troglodyte dwelling.  We are sitting in a cave eating dinner. The pizza oven is in the cave at the base of a crevice.  Yummy dinner!

Day 8: Rochechouart to Brantome
Heart 1 Comment 0

Stats: 66.6 kilometers and 712 meters elevation

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 917 km (569 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0