Day 26: Nice to Vence - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2022

Day 26: Nice to Vence

Final Day!!

I almost forgot to finish our story!!

On Monday morning we consumed our last croissants (I anticipate a diet in my future) with confitures and packed up one last time. Then we hauled the tandem out of the luggage room and down the circular marble stairs.  After checking out, we were off once again. Blue skies and blue water - not bad!!

Albert 1er Hotel
Heart 1 Comment 0
The promenade wasn’t very busy
Heart 1 Comment 0
They don’t make them like this anymore!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesSo true. We often comment on how we would love to live in one of those older apartments, never comment on wishing to live in a newer one.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Riding along the promenade at sea level
Heart 1 Comment 0

We traced our way back along the promenade to the Var River in St Laurent de Var before turning our backs on the Med to start the climb out of Nice. We followed a gravel bike path for a bit before joining the morning traffic. Of course, this was where the road pitches upward.  So, we pedaled on upward expecting it to be a tough, but short ride. 

The Med in the distance
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Var River below
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our friend promised us ice cream on this route, but the store was closed. What can you expect on a Monday morning!  It was too early for ice cream anyways. 

The road up here was pleasant - not too much traffic - and the climb was steady, but not difficult. 

We made the grade!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Garage door art
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a few flat kilometers we rode into Vence. First order of business was to swing by the bike shop to check in and make sure he was ready for the tandem. All was good and he was ready for us.  Then we rode to our friends’ house to unload, shower, repack the panniers for Tuesday’s flight, and deliver the tandem to the bike shop for packaging and shipping. 

The bike shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tandem has been delivered (to the shop)
Heart 1 Comment 0

At this point it really hit us!  We didn’t want to stop. We really wanted to get back on the tandem and keep pedaling. We just weren’t ready for the trip to end. 

Day 26: Nice to Vence
Heart 0 Comment 0

Stats:  27.2 kilometers 400 meters elevation

Thank you all for joining us on this adventure. It was fun and encouraging to read your comments. 

Today's ride: 27 km (17 miles)
Total: 1,962 km (1,218 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Eve KofskyCongratulations on your accomplishments! I’ve enjoyed following along on your journey. Loved all of the pictures…I know how overwhelming the daily blog can be, but thanks for sticking with it.💜💜
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierSorry your trip is over, but we’re glad to have you back! Looking forward to hearing about your adventure firsthand!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago