Day 6: Fontevraud de l’Abbaye to L’Isle Jourdain - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2022

Day 6: Fontevraud de l’Abbaye to L’Isle Jourdain

When we went to bed last night, the weather reports were a tad worrisome - a bit on the wet side. But upon waking, the story was different.  We’re loving our lucky star. However, leaving this luxurious accommodation is hard … I know, the ride must continue. 

Skies are moody, but it’s dry.  It’s going to be a good day - the rain is gone from all weather app forecasts. 

Our view from bed
Heart 3 Comment 0
And we’re off, but little did we know … wrong direction
Heart 1 Comment 0

Sometimes it’s hard to figure out which way to start out when looking at the Garmin. Today’s departure included an extra loop around Centre Ville. 

Parthenaise - a French cattle breed
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost extinct but making a slow come back
Heart 2 Comment 0

This breed formerly had three purposes: milk, meat, and draught work.  In the latter part of the 19th century, this breed was used to produce the well-known  ‘Charente-Poitou’ butter.   Today they are only raised for beef. 

Lovely roads
Heart 2 Comment 0
Landscapes include lakes
Heart 1 Comment 0

The main site we wanted to visit is a Gallo-Roman ruin with bathhouses, sanctuary, and amphitheater. We rolled up and it was locked up tight. Signs said it was open Tu-Su from 10-12 and 2-5. Today was Tuesday and it was 11 am.  Sigh!  Probably best because today is a LONG day. 

Saint Pierre de Sanxay
Heart 3 Comment 0
Monument in Sanxay honoring villagers who lost their lives during the World Wars
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sign indicates that Sanxay almost suffered the same fate as Oradour-Sue-Glane
Heart 0 Comment 0

I’ve been googling to learn better what this sign means, but so far I haven’t found any additional information. If you aren’t aware of Oradour-sur-Glane and it’s fate during WW2, I suggest googling it. 

French style of a ‘flagged’ controlling traffic around road construction
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lanterne Morte
Heart 4 Comment 0

There are only 30 of this ‘death lanterns’ still standing in France. This one is still used and provides light during a burial ceremony. 

Chateau Larcher
Heart 1 Comment 0

The church itself is in rough shape, but it is only a small part of the original chateau. The villager houses off the back (access not allowed) are still lived in.   The grounds are being revitalized adding an amphitheater. 

View from our lunch spot
Heart 3 Comment 0
Picnic time - green grass and shade
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today’s lunch included quiches and cookies. 

The roads are so quiet and the countryside is beautiful
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pigs taking their mud baths
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we rode along this pig farms, we discovered that each mud pond had 3-4 pigs lounging about and staying cool. There were at least 5 mud ponds along the fence line.   These guys/gals jumped out to pose for the photo. 

Stepping down into the church
Heart 1 Comment 0
Churches are now very simple; no longer ornate.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We still had some kilometers to travel, so we pushed on after checking the acoustics again. 

Railway viaduct across the Vienne River
Heart 2 Comment 0

A welcoming site!  We just needed to climb up there, ride across it, and find our next chambre d’hôtes to finish off the day. 

Final stretch into L’Isle Jourdain
Heart 4 Comment 0

After a little climb we started across the viaduct. The river views were amazing. Such a pretty area. 

Village of L’Isle Jourdain from the viaduct
Heart 4 Comment 0
River view from the viaduct
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our first glimpse of tonight’s chambre d’hôtes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Front garden was full of the cyclamens
Heart 4 Comment 0
La Ribbouteau
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a quick shower to wash off the road grime and putting our laundry in the washer, we plunged into the pool.   What better way to end a 104 kilometer day?!  The sun was out and it was quite warm; the pool provided a perfect recovery option.  

The pool
Heart 3 Comment 0

After the refreshing swim, we enjoyed some rosé with our hosts on their back terrace.  I had to wander and take photos of this beautiful estate. 

The fountain that’s full of fish
Heart 3 Comment 0
View of the back of the house
Heart 4 Comment 0

We sat under the umbrella on the left. The glasses in veranda on the right (it’s green) is their dining room where they served us a fantastic 4 course meal:  Entree of mackerel and salad, main plat of chicken breast with mushroom sauce and delicious vegetables, platter of cheeses, and dessert chocolate mousse. Our host served this with a great red wine. After dinner they joined us while we all enjoyed a glass of Bailey’s Irish Cream. This is when we learned that he was the marketing guru that put Bailey’s Irish Cream on the world-wide market. 

Steps to the back gardens
Heart 1 Comment 0

After all this, we never did get to see the village of L’Isle Jourdain.  Life was too peaceful here to explore.  

Day 6: Parthenay to L’Isle Jourdain
Heart 0 Comment 2
CHRISTOPHER JAMESinteresting that there's another L'Isle Jourdain! We started/ended our Pyrenees trip in the one by Toulouse.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyTo CHRISTOPHER JAMESYou’ll find that lots of town names are used several times - some even within the same department.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Stats: 103.9 kilometers 841 meters elevation 

Today's ride: 104 km (65 miles)
Total: 787 km (489 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
susan maaschthe food sounds lovely 🥰
Reply to this comment
1 year ago