Day 22: Forcalquier to Moustiers Sté. Marie - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2022

Day 22: Forcalquier to Moustiers Sté. Marie

Windy roads, ups and downs, lavender fields, olive orchards, almonds, and oak forests were the main features of today’s route.  Leaving Forcalquier was quick - downhill, but that didn’t last for long. 

Leaving the comfy chambre d’hotes
Heart 4 Comment 0
Leaving town
Heart 1 Comment 0
Summit of today’s ‘big’ climb
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was cool until we reached to 8 kilometer climb. Part way up we had to take the arm warmers off. We saw several local cyclists, and we met up with the Canadian couple who are doing the same route we are. 

Valensole
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lavender field with mountains for a backdrop
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lavender soaking up the rays
Heart 4 Comment 0

These particular fields and the sun/cloud formations were stunning to look at.  The scent was heady, too. 

We stopped for our picnic on a bench outside this church. We had a fun conversation (in French) with a local who knew all the places we were going to.  He stopped to talk because he was fascinated by the tandem. 

Église Saint Maxime in Riez
Heart 2 Comment 0

We’d heard about this Roman structure and went in search of it after lunch. The base is white marble while the columns are gray granite. Archeologists had a rendering of what they thought this Roman settlement looked like at one time. 

4 Roman columns in the park in Riez
Heart 2 Comment 0

We pedaled along until we spied these roof tops. 

Rooftop at the Château de Campagne
Heart 3 Comment 0
And another one
Heart 3 Comment 0
Third view
Heart 1 Comment 0

Further down the road we saw the “best” yard art - we should all have such sculptures!

First prize in yard art
Heart 3 Comment 0

As we approached Moustiers Sté. Marie the site was spectacular- a village built along the cliff side.

Moustiers Ste. Marie
Heart 3 Comment 0

Surprisingly, our Garmin didn’t take us to the village. We actually passed it and started downhill. After a couple of curves we finally found our chambre d’hôtes and hiked the tandem up the steep drive and along the narrow gravel walkways.  We’d arrived at Les Oliviers and our host was very welcoming. She’s hosted lots of cyclists over the years, but we’re the first tandem. 

Our little terrace
Heart 1 Comment 2
rod dayAmazing! We stayed in this very b&b a couple of years ago!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyI was wondering! It’s really a sweet and hidden place.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Walkway to our room
Heart 1 Comment 0

After all the usual settling in chores, we headed to the village. It was about a 10 minute walk back uphill to the very touristy village. The earthen ware/pottery seems to be the biggest seller as we walked through. The village is very pretty and the setting is stunning. 

Bienvenue
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down on the village
Heart 6 Comment 0
Looking up at the chapel of Notre Dame de Beauvoir with its gold star
Heart 3 Comment 0

We walked up to the chapel for a closer look. 

The chapel and its trail up to it
Heart 4 Comment 0

It was a good 15 minute climb up to the chapel. 

Chuck posing for me on the bridge
Heart 3 Comment 0
The gold star
Heart 3 Comment 2
kath vowlesIt has been 15 years since we were last there. It is very pretty and well known for its faiance.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyTo kath vowlesThought of you when I saw a couple of fun pieces with ants.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The famous star hangs on a 227 metre chain between two cliffs above the village. Legend has it that a knight taken prisoner during the Crusades vowed that if he ever returned to Moustiers he would hang a silver star above the village. The current star was put in place in 1882.  It definitely didn’t look silver to me. 

12th century chapel of Notre Dame de Beauvoir
Heart 2 Comment 0
The trail back down
Heart 5 Comment 0

We wandered around the village enjoying the fresh cool air before deciding on a restaurant for dinner. We enjoyed and entrèe of chèvre with honey and salad and a plat of pasta. Chuck’s pasta had foie gras and mine had cèpes.   I had a couple of bites of his mousse au chocolat. Afterwards, we had a nice walk downhill back to our room.   Another great day in the books!

Day 22: Forcalquier to Moustiers Sté Marie
Heart 0 Comment 0

Stats:  62,8 kilometers 926 meters elevation

Weather alert:  Things aren’t looking good for Saturday … our last day when we are supposed to ride into Nice … an episode Mediterranean is developing. This could bring a lot of rain in a short period.  Hmmm …

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,764 km (1,095 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0