Day 21: Sault to Forcalquier - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2022

Day 21: Sault to Forcalquier

We’re starting to realize that this dream trip is coming to an end.   When we set out we thought this would be a long adventure … but it’s amazing how fast the days fly by. Wait, was that days or was it kilometers?

When we left the hotel in Sault today, we walked through the market that was in full swing. Actually this is one of the oldest markets around … signs indicate that the market has been going on since the year 1515. 

Peppers
Heart 4 Comment 0

This display was incredibly colorful.  I ended up buying a spice and herb mix from a great salesman. It wasn’t big or heavy, so it fit on the bike. I think Chuck has been enjoying my ‘clipped wings’ when it’s come to buying momentoes. 

Goodbye Sault
Heart 1 Comment 0
And see you next time Mont Ventoux!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Adding the nostalgic climb was a great idea. We’re so glad we did it!  Now we’re off to the little town of Banon and we’re hoping the cheese making is under control.  You see, when we visited in 2007 they were processing the cheese and, well, Banon cheese is one of the stinkiest French cheeses. 

Great roads today
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today’s route took us through lavender field after lavender field. Seems odd going for corn and sunflower fields to grape vines to lavender fields as we’ve crossed France.  

Pretty fields of harvested lavender that smelled good
Heart 3 Comment 0
Trying to capture the different colors amongst the rows
Heart 2 Comment 0

Sorry we can’t share the scent with you. It smelled lovely today. 

Arriving in Banon
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Bluet - a 4 story bookstore
Heart 3 Comment 0
Check out the carving in front of the store
Heart 5 Comment 0
Up close view of the carving
Heart 4 Comment 0

We rolled into Banon with 5 minutes to spare - the boulangerie was closing. We met a couple from Vancouver, BC, who were riding the same route as us. We compared notes and chatted about the highlights we’ve enjoyed. Shortly afterwards a groups of ladies riding with Blue Sky Tours arrived and filled the restaurant tables. We met them at the top of Mont Ventoux yesterday and they were surprised to see us again. A couple of the ladies shared their tandem stories with us - kids are the captains and it scares them, or the dust is too deep on the tandem. Fun!  We wished them well and rode off. 

Le Roche d’Ongles
Heart 6 Comment 0

This rock village was sitting above the road. 

The borie
Heart 4 Comment 0

Just outside of Forcalquier we saw this borie. A must stop for photos. These were built by stacking rocks - dry rock - as in no mortar. 

Walls are 4 feet thick
Heart 3 Comment 0
Perspective of door height
Heart 2 Comment 0

The skies clouded up and became dark causing a bit of concern. But, thankfully, it dissipated a couple of hours later.   We set off to explore Forcalquier, a village we haven’t seen before. 

The Cathedral in Forcalquier
Heart 4 Comment 0

We popped into the cathedral which was to dark for good photos. The organ was quite unusual. 

The organ in the cathedral
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then we hiked up to the top of the hill in the village to see the Citadel. 360 degree view: Alps in the distance to the east. The route up was a rock road - I need to read up on the history. 

The Citadel above the village
Heart 4 Comment 0
Path up to the Citadel
Heart 5 Comment 0
View on our way back down into centre Ville
Heart 6 Comment 0

After exploring Forcalquier, we rode back to our chambre d’hôtes, Bergerie La Beaudine. When we arrived we were greeted by a colorful sky. 

Sunset
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bergerie la Beaudine
Heart 8 Comment 0

We had a great dinner at Les Terraces de La Bastide that was a mere 2 minute walk from our chambre d’hôtes. Fantastic service and delicious meals. Now we’re settled in for a good night’s sleep. 

Day 21: Sault to Forcalquier
Heart 0 Comment 0

Stats: 52.1 kilometers 495 meters elevation

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,702 km (1,057 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0