Day 23: Moustiers Sté Marie to Castellane - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2022

Day 23: Moustiers Sté Marie to Castellane

We were ready for the big day. The Garmin forecasts 7 climbs, but we’ve ridden this road before in the opposite direction so we have some idea of what to expect. At breakfast when we talked with our hosts, they expressed surprise that we would consider riding on the rive gauche.  They felt the other side was better. The other side is the main road, and yes it probably had better views of the Gorges du Verdon but we preferred the quieter road that is an actual bicycle route. 

After saying our goodbyes, we rolled down to the Lac de Sainte-Croix and crossed the bridge to begin the first climb of the day. 

Les Oliviers is hidden behind all the oak and olive trees
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we approach the lake
Heart 1 Comment 0
The drought has taken its toll on Lac de Sainte-Croix
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow. That’s frightening.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Verdon River that feeds the lake and is the beginning of the canyon we’ll be riding this morning
Heart 3 Comment 1
rod dayIncredable! This time last year we, & many othres, were going up the gorge on pedlos & in kayaks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Part way up the climb, we came to the village of Aiguines where we bought today’s picnic lunch.  The chateau here has unique roof tiling on its four corner turrets. 

Aiguines centre village
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chateau with ornate roof tiling
Heart 2 Comment 0

It’s been 15 years since we’ve been here, but it looks the same in many ways and yet improved upon, as well. 

Lac de Sainte-Croix from Aiguines
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another col for our trip
Heart 5 Comment 0
Gorges du Verdon
Heart 5 Comment 0

That’s the main road along the canyon wall. We can actually see the view points and all the vehicles over there. 

Looking towards the bottom of the canyon
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our road
Heart 3 Comment 0

We encountered a group of cyclists from Aspen on this stretch. They were being followed by a van pulling a bicycle trailer and a second van pulling their luggage trailer. 

Where we’re headed and still climbing
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fresh cold spring water!!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our final look at Lac de Sainte-Croix
Heart 3 Comment 0
A mandatory stop at the Hotel de Grand Canyon
Heart 1 Comment 0

Even though we had our picnic lunch on the tandem, I popped into this restaurant to see if they still served omelets. I explained to the ancient proprietor that we had eaten an omelet on the terrace overlooking the gorge 15 years ago and we wanted to enjoy the experience again (in my best French - that was hard!). He checked with the chef to see if he’d make us an omelet. Sadly, no luck. So, we continued up the road to find the perfect picnic site. 

See the tunnels towards the top of the cliff?
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stopped just before the tunnel for our picnic. 

As we go higher, the gorge seems deeper
Heart 3 Comment 0
Verdon River
Heart 4 Comment 0

At a scenic overlooking just before the tunnels we enjoyed our picnic of fougasse and lemon cake and apricot tart. 

Comfortably sitting on rocks
Heart 5 Comment 0
Our view of a scenic loop road across the gorge
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tunnel du Fayet
Heart 2 Comment 0
Scenic view ahead through the notch
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nature’s graffiti on the canyon wall
Heart 3 Comment 0
Le Pont d’Artuby
Heart 5 Comment 0
The dry L’Artuby River below the Pont
Heart 2 Comment 0

But I can only imagine water gushing through here!  Maybe it will after tomorrow’s rain storm. 

Gorge view from the Balcons
Heart 3 Comment 0
Brief interlude
Heart 4 Comment 0

Just another 5 kilometers and the main climbs of the day will be done. 

Thé boulangerie in Comps sur Artuby
Heart 4 Comment 0
Trigance
Heart 3 Comment 0

Our host at breakfast suggested a shortcut that would’ve taken us through this village of Trigance.  When we came around the corner and Trigance came into view, I remembered that we rode through it in 2007 on market day. I bought a Provençal table cloth at the market that we still use today.   I’ve always wondered what village I had purchased it in … there it was!

Riding along the Verdon River now
Heart 3 Comment 0
Quiet roads
Heart 3 Comment 0
Overhanging cliffs
Heart 4 Comment 0
Peaceful river
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Garmin was now telling us Climb #6 of the day was about to begin with an average of 7%. Our legs are tired, but bring it on. 

Summit of Climb #6
Heart 6 Comment 0

Our Garmins registered 37% gradient - man are we strong!!! At this point we love those deceiving climbs!

The Verdon River
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today’s ride was a tough but rewarding one. It was great finishing the day along the river as we rode into Castellane. 

View above our hotel and iconic to Castellane
Heart 4 Comment 0
The church in the town square
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bell tower with the Chapelle Notre-Dame du Roc behind
Heart 4 Comment 0

We’re staying in the Hotel du Commerce and enjoying the comfort. 

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 1,844 km (1,145 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
rod dayStunning....Stunning... Stunning!!! And I thought that the last few post were good but this exceeds everything.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonThanks for letting us reminisce. We rode the same stage - Moustiers to Castellane - 7 years ago, but on the opposite side; and 30 years ago we rode Comp-sur-Artuby to Moustiers. One of the great routes in France.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gordon NicholsonA huge, picturesque day! Congrats!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
CHRISTOPHER JAMESThank you for these lovely pictures and route info. The Gorges has been on my list for a while. I am planning to do an overnight there from Nice in a couple of weeks. Three women friends are visiting us, you can understand that a guy might want a couple days away to let the ladies have their fun.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago