Day 19: Chateauneuf du Pape to Sault - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2022

Day 19: Chateauneuf du Pape to Sault

I’ve noticed that it feels like slow going after a rest day. Our usual system seems to sputter and it seems we move slower. Oh well … back on the bike and we’re looking forward to whatever we discover along our route today. 

By the way … the Mistral is as strong as ever as we set off this morning. Sometimes it was a side wind and sometimes it was a headwind.  Ugh!!!

Grapes everywhere
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back at the village with the Chateau des Papes on top
Heart 2 Comment 0

The first half of today’s route is a bit too busy for our liking. If we had to do it over, we’d reroute and stay away from these towns. Just too much traffic. 

Monteux
Heart 1 Comment 0

We didn’t take any photos as we passed through Carpentras - it was too congested and we hustled out. 

Mazan
Heart 2 Comment 0

This is a town where the road circles around … maybe we’d been better off going through it. Oh well!

Our first sighting of Mont Ventoux.
Heart 2 Comment 0

That’s tomorrow’s project, wind permitting. 

Delicately pruned oaks all along the way up the Gorges de La Nesque
Heart 1 Comment 0

It is said that the locals take care of pruning the oaks along this route. 

Le Géant is getting closer
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great road climbing through the Gorges
Heart 1 Comment 0

There was very little car traffic. However, we suspect we saw over 100 cyclists today while we were climbing the the Gorges de la Nesque.  Even a helicopter flew over - (the photos didn’t turn out very good).

The approach
Heart 2 Comment 0

The beauty of this area is the rock formations and how the road now flows through it. 

Entering
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back
Heart 2 Comment 0

These rock formations are so cool!

Today’s picnic site offering shade and places to sit
Heart 2 Comment 0

While we munched on a chicken and Brie with pesto sauce sandwich, and chocolate cookies two cars drove by and over 30 cyclists flew by (downhill) while several groups continued uphill. One uphill group that caught my attention consisted of 4 riders: 3 were on road bikes and were dressed in typical cycling kits, and the 4th person wore regular summer clothes, didn’t have the ‘cycling physique’ of the others, and was riding an electric bike - and they were all together as a unit having a great time riding together.  Very cool!! 

Looking back to see where we’ve come from
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another tunnel
Heart 1 Comment 0
Picturesque view of the gorge
Heart 2 Comment 0

By the way, it seems we’ve left the Mistral behind finally!

Look close and you’ll see the road
Heart 1 Comment 0
Up ahead
Heart 3 Comment 0
Oh! Another one!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Almost to the top of the gorge
Heart 2 Comment 0
Made it!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Excellent view of Mont Ventoux
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re at the top of the Gorge
Heart 3 Comment 2
Mo SchwartzThis one is the holiday postcard
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierLooking good!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scary looking mountain!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lavender fields have been trimmed for the season
Heart 3 Comment 0

After we descended from the end of the Gorge into the lavender fields, we were confronted by a strong headwind. Well, Chuck said it was a headwind. I think he just quit pedaling. We pushed through it for 4 km before finishing the 1.5 km up into the village of Sault. And I have to say, the climb up to Sault felt easier than the headwind coming in!  Enough wind!!

Our accommodations are at Le Louvre in the center of the historic Centre Ville. Definitely not the luxurious accommodations we had the last time we were in Sault (2007) on an Erickson tour.  We found the laundromat and got a ‘good’ wash done before walking up to the bike shop.  At the bike shop we encountered a couple from Salt Lake City who had been riding in the Pyrenees before coming over here to ride Mont Ventoux.  As we shared our story of moving to France, they asked for our contact information so they could contact us later to discuss the idea of moving. I handed them our calling card … and you’ll never guess what!!  They are tandem riders, too. Needless to say, the conversation continued for quite a bit longer. Hope we hear from them again.  Small world!

Day 19: Chateauneuf du Pape to Sault
Heart 0 Comment 0

Stats: 69.2 kilometers 987 meters elevation

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,599 km (993 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0