Day 20: Mont Ventoux - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2022

Day 20: Mont Ventoux

Fifteen years ago we climbed Le Géant de Provence and we decided to add it to this trip since we were going to be in the neighborhood.  However, our final decision to climb or not to climb would be based on weather because this mountain is famous for its wind. And then there’s the decision of which way to attack it since there are three different ways to climb it. 

Our breakfast discussion included: 1) will we or won’t we (weather decision), and 2) which route (Bédoin or Sault). 

After three days of being in the Mistral, we aren’t excited about riding in wind. Surprise: there’s no wind today!!  Therefore, we will.   But which route?

We rode through the Gorges de La Nesque slowly yesterday and saw it up close.  There’s also the possibility of road closure while they extract the vehicle that went over the edge on Sunday. We rode the route up from Bédoin in 2007, so we decided to try a different route - from Sault. It’s a longer climb, but gentler. We also decided that the next time we’re in the neighborhood we’ll have to do the third route from Malaucene. 

It was pretty cold this morning, 8-10C, when we left town. Shortly after the climb began we had to shed the extra layers of clothing. It was truly a perfect temperature for a climb today. 

The only lavender field that hasn’t been harvested
Heart 1 Comment 0

The lavender fields we rode through yesterday and this morning were all harvested. As we shed our extra layers, I noticed this one still had flowers, albeit dried up. The photo didn’t turn out very good … but I had to take this one for my friend, Eve. 

Surely the sign lies!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The distance was right, but I don’t think they know how to measure elevation accurately. Lol!!

View from a lookout point
Heart 1 Comment 0

Sault is down there in the middle of the valley floor. But don’t be fooled, it is a climb into Sault itself. 

Artwork in the woods
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was amazing how many bikes we saw today on our route. Not only road bikes, but guys climbing on mountain bikes, men and women on electric bikes, a woman on a hand operated trike, and a woman with tiny legs whose apparatus was maneuvered by using her arms with poles.  The crowd cheered when she summited!

Today was about working, so we didn’t get very many photos. 

Proof that we made it
Heart 4 Comment 0

It is so nice and warm up here. Not a breath of wind. How did we get so lucky?!?!

The obligatory col sign photo
Heart 6 Comment 2
Dave VowlesYeaaayy! Whoop Whoop Whoop!!! Grab a pair of white shirts with red spots, you deserve them! You know we would have sprayed you with something fizzy if we'd been in the area :-)

You must be really happy now - all is going well on the trip and the bulk of the miles are behind you; you had a perfect day of weather for Ventoux (and you made it); and now you can simply enjoy the remaining days without the back-of-your-mind worry of what Ventoux might bring.

Have a GREAT few days - oh and keep drinking 66Euro wine whenever you can blag a free sample...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gordon NicholsonPicture perfect day! Congratulations! The feeling is great to reach the summit!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We ditched all the extra bags from the bike for today’s ride. What a difference it makes!

The landscape (or should I say moonscape)
Heart 0 Comment 0

I was asked about cars up there. There truly weren’t that many parked along the road at the top. And most were providing support to their cyclists, as well as, cheering other cyclists on. 

Magnificent views - those are white clouds, not snow
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is a section of the road we climbed up. The bourn indicated 8.5% average for the kilometer and a half. 

The terrain up here is unique
Heart 0 Comment 0
If you look closely, you’ll see the Rhône River down there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A salad for lunch at the Chalet below the summit
Heart 0 Comment 1
kath vowlesThis is a photo of man really looking forward to his food. You won't be hungry after that, you deserve it. Congratulations
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Day 20: Mont Ventoux
Heart 1 Comment 0

Stats: 51.6 kilometers 1,238 meters elevation 

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,650 km (1,025 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Eve KofskyThanks for the shoutout! Loving your journey, and of course the Lavender!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill BogueGreat work, you guys, and great luck with the weather - chapeau! Kathy & I attempted this from Maulecene (sp.?) in 2004, also on an Erickson tandem tour, but had to abandon halfway up as Kathy was experiencing vertigo-like symptoms once we were getting above the trees. We think that those were after effects from a concussion from a tandem crash we had three months prior.

Chapeau again for your adventuresome spirits and desire to share with the rest of us! Safe and fun trip the rest of the way!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
rod dayStunning Pics. We went to the summit of Ventoux several years back (by car of course!) & saw a guy going up on a unicycle. Pity that you didnt see on as it would have made your 'collection of velos' complete!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago