5th Day, Our way back. Pittsburgh to West Newton. - Go And Pedal the GAP Trail, Sept 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2022

5th Day, Our way back. Pittsburgh to West Newton.

We stopped at Betsey's Shoppe in Boston, PA for lunch. It is amazing how hungry you get when you are pedaling all day. :)
Heart 1 Comment 1
Lisa PowellREI's the best!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After 4 days, we were both quite tired and since we already knew what was going to happen (just in reverse) we figured we were going to leave at 10 AM, plus the REI didn't open until 10 AM. 

Our rain gear on the first 3 days was not keeping us dry at all so we decided to check out the REI along the way, and get some Gore-Tex jackets that will actually keep us dry and allow air to be released. 

Leaving the Fairfield Inn at about 65 degrees and 10 AM, and it looks to be a sunny day. Yay!! We haven't seen much sun on this trip yet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding to the REI and our bag fell off with a lot of noise. Good thing nothing was busted or broken, but Jeff had to tighten up some bolts on the back of the bag. He decided he was going to check all the major bolts because of all the vibrations something is bound to get loose. Good thing he brought a lot of "heavy" tools. Oh my!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some nice, pretty and sunny views as we are in the process of leaving Pittsburgh.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Hot Metal Bridge as it is called from a Grille that used to be close to this spot. Not sure why they call it that name, but we liked the area and thought that next time we would just stay in this area as there are more hotels and restaurants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We arrived at the REI. Yay!! A really nice store with some nice stuff. We got the Gore-Tex jackets and even bought some better rain paints on sale. We are ready for the rain now. There is rain expected on the 7th and 8th days of our trip. Bring it on!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just past Pittsburgh, they had "goats on the mountain". Not sure where this came from, but it looks to be some sort of study of goats living on a mountain, actually a small hill. Some sort of conservation that may be linked to the college right next door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old Pump House on the way into McKeesport. It seems like they just keep these old structures for history sake. I guess it is cheaper than tearing it down, plus provides education along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A loud moving train going beside us. Definitely not the sound of chirping birds, rustling water, and crickets, but still it was interesting. We've seen a train passing through about every hour as this is an active commercial railway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode by Kennywood amusement part. I guess they are known for their rollercoasters. It is strange to us in Florida that pretty much all these theme parks, water parks, and outdoorsy kind of things close after Labor Day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of Jeff's core values is "Adventure" so he loved this saying. "Remember life is an Adventure. Enjoy the ride!!" Wow, that is great.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hottest day so far on our trip. Highs of 84 degrees, which feels nothing like Florida weather with 99% humidity. We were glad that there were stops along the way to get water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We arrived in McKeesport, and we realized that coming back through it wasn't so bad plus with the sun shining and being a great day, it make our spirits a little brighter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The one portion where you ride along the road was not so fun, but you really never see many cars along this stretch. It is only about 1 mile right before we get to "Dead Man's Hollow". Funny name right?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Debi is a little afraid of going into "Dead Man's Hollow". The name started way back where they found a man that was dead by hanging. Yuck! And there have been many more murders and strange sightings so is history and folklore. The GAP has taken it on as a conservation area which allows it to come back to a better state.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dead Man's Hollow is very "natural" and somewhat hilly. A nice area if you can get away from the name. Haha.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back on the trail and hoping to be done soon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are back on the natural trail and we love it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Finally arrived in West Newton.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting Jeff's gears fixed at the local West Newton Bike Shop. These guys were actually much better than the REI bike shop. He fixed the gears right on the spot in about 15 minutes. Thank you!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fall festival being held at West Newton. How fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Debi chilling out and drinking some cold tea after a long day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jeff eating a well deserved cookie. So good!
Heart 0 Comment 0
After a long day we are back at the West Newton train station and ready to shut it down for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 186 miles (299 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0