8th Day, Meyersdale to Cumberland. - Go And Pedal the GAP Trail, Sept 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2022

8th Day, Meyersdale to Cumberland.

The GI Dayroom Coffee House in Meyersdale was closed so we found another place called Donges Drive-In, which I thought was even better than the GI Dayroom. Have I said that I love pancakes when cycling. Oh my goodness, they are delicious. :)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pushing up our bikes up the hill. I know, lame, right? We were just too tired to ride up the hill. This is our last day and we are ready to be done.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well we start off all smiles, but we both are super tired. Next time we are planning a recovery day in between the ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming up on another bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So far it is clear and no rain yet, but the forecast is rain. Here we go again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a pumpkin patch right off the trail that we thought was interesting. The cyclists in front of us went ahead and stopped, and it seemed like this was a Mennonite farmer. You see that a lot around these parts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well it started raining right outside of the Continental Divide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More rain and coming up to the Continental Divide. This is the highest point on the trail and 8 miles from Meyersdale. We are super looking forward to the 24 miles downhill. Whoop, whoop!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some cyclists got our picture right at the highest point. It was raining pretty hard at this point, and we really weren't looking forward to going out of the tunnel, but we've been through so much rain it didn't bother us much anymore. The cyclists were going to stay in the tunnel to wait to see if it stopped.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming back up on the Big Savage tunnel which is 3,000 feet long and you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel until you are almost all the way through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming to the end of the tunnel. It is very misty in the tunnel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now coming out the Brush Tunnel, and getting much closer to Cumberland. We've been going 15-16 mph down the hill and loving it. We passed 2 sets of cyclists that would have been passing us on the uphill but with our extra weight we were flying down the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coming out of Brush tunnel and flying down the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Overlooking the town of Mt Savage where there is quite a bit of history. The rain has stopped. Yay!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying the overlook.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seeing pavement and coming closer to Cumberland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Narrows just outside of Cumberland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seeing the mile 1 marker. Wow, now we are really close.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And seeing signs of congestion. Even closer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it. The end of the GAP trail and the beginning of the C&O Canal Towpath.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yay! We made it! Debi is fired up!!! :)
Heart 0 Comment 0
So happy to have completed 300 miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We got to the truck and took off the 60 lbs of bag on the back of our bike. Our bikes felt so light. Wow!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a sandwich right by the end of and beginning of the trail. So glad to be done.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now we are going to try 1-2 miles on the C&O Towpath.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Panoramic view on the C&O Towpath. We were not that impressed with the Towpath, but we decided we want to do the GAP trail again and maybe the Towpath all the way to Washington DC. What a trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 305 miles (491 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0