4th Day, West Newton to Pittsburgh - Go And Pedal the GAP Trail, Sept 2022 - CycleBlaze

September 8, 2022

4th Day, West Newton to Pittsburgh

Here we are at the back of the room we rented at the Bright Morning B&B. We really didn't get enough breakfast to handle the mileage and weight that we are carrying, but we figured we will have a couple of protein bars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We noticed that there were many houses along this route toward Pittsburgh that were dilapidated and almost abandoned.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a different picture than what we've seen the prior 3 days. A lot more small towns, houses and businesses along the route. We really didn't like this very much. Oh well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is the Red Waterfall which is supposed acid water that would come from the mining and now other things that lawn run off and such. You can see that color of the rock has changed colors. Very interesting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Homes just sitting right off the trail. We considered this a little odd.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met this guy from New Zealand that was going from Pittsburgh to Washington DC. That is over 300 miles and he was going to be camping each night. Wow, and this guy is older than us. Not what we wanted to do. :)
Heart 2 Comment 0
Boston, PA. Not the other Boston. :)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Right after Boston, PA we came to the city of McKeesport, which was not very appealing to us. Industry and run down buildings were all over the place, and we were dodging ruts in the trails and bumps everywhere. We felt like something was going to fall off the bike soon. :)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gearing on Jeff's bike is just not working properly. We came upon a steep short incline, and he was trying to put it into the lowest gear and the chain popped off while we were only halfway up the incline. Geez!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
After Dead Man's Hollow, we come to this section across the bridge where we felt like we were going to clip the walls of the sidewalk because our bikes are so wide. Oh my!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well it looks like we made it to Pittsburgh after going through lots of industrial stuff. Looking forward to having some food. For real!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are lots and lots of bridges in Pittsburgh going over the railroads or other industry. It means you've got to climb inclines. Oh boy!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting a glimpse of what they call "Steel City". Not very appealing in our opinion, but maybe others think it is cool. The stark difference of being in nature vs. having industry all around you was a shock to our system at first.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hot Metal bridge is what this is called, and we are starting to see these as we come into Pittsburgh. This is very cool that we can cross over these bridges instead of going out of the way and crossing over onto major streets.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is this bike shop right below one of the bridges that rents out bikes to people wanting to do the GAP trail. Jeff is talking with him about our spare while that had a gash in it. They really couldn't do much more than give us another tire with a tube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We finally made it to our hotel and this is the view that we've got of the river outside of our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We walked about a mile to Point Park which is the point where 3 rivers meet. Kind of a cool concept.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Finishing the day with a good time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oh and yes we were hungry and needed fuel for our bodies. Pizza and salad is about the mainstay on our bike tour.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 151 miles (243 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0