Day 14 Jackson - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2018

Day 14 Jackson

Jackson Wyoming

Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Wyoming and a huge climb!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Snow/sleet up the pass.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of Jackson Hole from Teton Pass.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Victor to Jackson, Wyoming 

The first thing we did this morning was look at the forecast and the radar. We planned on going over Teton Pass today and were hoping for a window of clearish weather. There’s been this circling low pressure system around for days. There were strong thunderstorms west of Victor yesterday, so we’re glad we got to Victor when we did. We had a decadent breakfast of fruit danishes (can’t remember the last time I had one..so good. #yolo) Looked like an 11:30 departure should get us over the hill before any rain would come. Since the road up the pass has a fairly narrow shoulder, my cousin offered to play sherpa and haul our panniers to the top of the hill in her truck so we could react more quickly to passing traffic. That was a godsend as it’s a really steep climb. Traffic wasn’t too hateful, but still heavy at times when a batch of 10-12 cars would pass us in sequence. Halfway up the hill, it started to snow/sleet a little, adding to the adventure. The climb kept us warm though and we finally made it to the top. As we climbed, I was listening to one of my fitness instructor’s playlists that she uses at some of our spin classes (thanks Katie!). Definitely kept me motivated and focused on reaching the top. Lyrics like “need to breathe” and “it goes on and on” were comic relief. Just as we neared the summit of the pass, the song “You raise me up...” came on. So apropos 😂 We got to the 8400 ft summit and waited for Evan. The wind was howling up there and it had to be below freezing. We cooled off pretty quickly, then got chilly. Evan came after a few minutes, we loaded up our gear on the bikes, got the requisite picture and headed down to Jackson Hole via the old pass road (no cars!). We had to stop a few times to warm our hands enough that we could continue to brake and were still pretty chilled by the time we hit Wilson near the bottom of the pass. We stopped in the general store for some hot cocoa and a warm break, then set out for my uncle’s house. There’s a great bike path that took us the 10 miles from Wilson to South Park. At one point we crossed the Snake River again; scenery wasn’t quite as pretty with the clouds and the river was choppy and swift. Usually there are rafters along this section (between Teton Village and Jackson), but not today! We got to the house, took care of a few errands, got some fries and beers at The Bird, then took blessedly hot showers and relaxed. My uncle John and aunt Barb made us an incredible dinner of morel pasta, roasted veggies and salad and mango for dessert with a nice little brownie portion.

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 2,986 miles (4,806 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0