Montreal - Exploring the Route Verte in Quebec, Canada by Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2010

Montreal

We are staying at the Gingerbread Manor B&B run by Yves and Ephraim. It is conveniently located in le Plateau area.We have really enjoyed the B&B - great food, lovely rooms, friendly hosts and interesting conversation. The neighbourhood reflects the history of Montreal architecture built in the late 1800's, loads of outdoor cafes. Had dinner at a Montreal landmark, Schwartz's- operating since 1928. We enjoyed their trademark smoked meat sandwich. In Montreal, we have loved wandering the streets and absorbing the sights and culture. Many beautiful parks and the best urban cycling infrastructure we have ever seen. Can`t wait to get on the Route Verte as this is giving us a sense of great things to come. A must for any cycling visitor is to visit La Maison Bicyclette. This is the headquarters for Velo Quebec and a cycle/touring shop and a cafe. What more could you ask? For months, Mary Ellen has been looking for a map case which would fit on the captain`s seat back - and we finally found one at La Maison - Bike Map OTG (Of the Gods) made in Seattle. We assembled the bike on the sidewalk outside our B&B. The neighbourhood seemed to enjoy our struggles - friendly and inquisitive. We have been experiencing difficulty separating the power link on one of our chains. The bike mechanics in Montreal have been very generous with their time and expertise. It is no longer a problem.

People line up for the delicious food at Schwartz's Deli.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Smoked meat sandwich, pickle and coleslaw. Yum!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Montreal is a remarkable bike-friendly city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Maison de Cyclistes is the home of Velo Quebec-travel agency for cyclists, a cafe/shop and home of Route Verte.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are putting our bike together on the sidewalk outside of our gite (B&B).
Heart 0 Comment 0
We discovered a great bike shop near our B&B. While putting our bike together we had trouble taking apart the power link on one of our chains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the mechanics who helped us at the bike shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This wonderful park is only half a block from our B&B.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many eating establishments in Montreal allow you to bring your own wine/beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everyone loves to ride in Montreal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Emphram bids us "bon voyage" on our exploration of Route Verte.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0