Train Trip Across Canada - Exploring the Route Verte in Quebec, Canada by Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2010

Train Trip Across Canada

Our train journey begins in Vancouver and ends in Montreal 4 nights and 5 days. Via Rail is a wonderful experience...outstanding food and service. It's a great way to see our country and make friends along the way. Our bike is safely (we hope) stored in its bag in the baggage car. We look forward to meeting up with our bike in Montreal. The train departed at 8:30 PM. We awoke the first morning in Kamloops BC. By lunch time we were in the Rockies. The scenery travelling through the mountains is spectacular. We enjoyed the view from the Observation Park Dome car and sipped complimentary champagne. We stretched our legs in Jasper for an hour and continued on through the Rockies during dinner. The meals were consistently delicious and served in an elegant dining room. Rack of lamb, roast beef and halibut are just a few of the entrees we enjoyed. The next day we awoke in Saskatchewan. The vistas were completely different - bright yellow fields of canola and mustard for as far as the eye could see. This is beauty of a different type than the mountains, but equally impressive. Manitoba's Qu'Appelle valley reflected a lush, fertile farming area...northern Ontario greeted us our third morning with lakes, forests and isolated fishing camps. We saw a group of 7 bear while eating our dinner the final night. The cheers erupted throughout the dining room as this sighting was followed by a moose in a lake. We arrived in Toronto and had a brief stopover at Union Station. Mary Ellen enjoyed rediscovering her roots as she had spent much time here when her father had been a CNR train conductor. Upon picking up our bike at the Montreal train station, we had the challenge of finding a cab that could accomodate our large bike bag, our panniers and us. There were no minivans, so we had to hire two taxis. It was entertaining to watch a group of cabbies trying to fit the bike bag in the back seat.

Our journey has begun! The bike is in its bag and the ferry is leaving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are checking in at the Vancouver train station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The service on the train is excellent. Champagne is served in the dome car at each major station.Here we are leaving Jasper, Alberta.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The food on the train is excellent. All of our meals are provided with our ticket.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We woke up on our third morning in Saskatchewan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry working on the journal in our bedroom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Martin, the Activities Director on the train, Vancouver to Winnipeg giving an informational talk as we entered Saskatchewan. One of many things he provides...as well as wine and beer tastings, various game, etc. There is a crew change in Winnipeg. While on the train the crew work long hours and have a stopover in Winnipeg and then they work their way back to Vancouver the next day on the west bound train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had a chance meeting with a retired railroader, Gene Kirkham, who had worked with her dad Jim Sandford on the CNR railroad in Belleville, Ontario.The joy of train travel-having time to meet people and share memories.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our dining car. Every meal time they changed the linen colours.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A mom and a daughter from Ontario, Lynn and Carolyn, travelling together...some of the friends we met and enjoyed getting to know on the train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our sleeping car steward from Winnipeg to Toronto. The workers on the train add to the enjoyment and comfort of the trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our final dinner on the train.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lunch on the Toronto - Montreal train.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Belleville train station - Mary Ellen's home town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived in Montreal - 5 days and 4 nights later. What a great trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0