Introduction - Exploring the Route Verte in Quebec, Canada by Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2010

Introduction

My wife, Mary Ellen and I ride a Rans Seavo TR recumbent tandem. When we ride, people stare at our bike with their mouths open wide in disbelief and then usually the look of disbelief turns into smiles. When we talk to people they often ask, "Did you build that thing yourself?"...no,it's made in Kansas."Is that rig comfortable?"....yes,it's very comfortable. In fact, it`s so comfortable, we ride single Bacchetta recumbents as well. We originally bought a used Rans Screamer recumbent tandem - 20" wheel in front and 26" in rear. We want to do a lot of travelling with our bike and the Screamer didn`t have couplers (which enables the bike to be dismantled for travel). We had a grat opportunity to buy a brand new Rans Seavo with S&S couplers...now we own 2 recumbent tandems! The Seavo is a much faster bike than the Screamer. We bought our bike at Fairfield Bicycle in Victoria BC; Tim, Max and the team have done a great job outfitting our bike and keeping it running well. Kelvin Clark at Angletech in Colorado sold us a custom made travel bag for the Seavo. Kelvin is a generous wealth of information in all things relating to recumbents. We live on Saltspring Island, which is between Vancouver and Victoria on the west coast of Canada. Since we fell in love with tandeming, we find that our vehicle is being used less and less. We both work for the local School District and enjoy the summer break for travelling. In celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary, we gave each other the gift of travelling across Canada on the train, Vancouver to Montreal. Our plan is to cycle on the Route Verte throughout the province of Quebec for 5 weeks, camping as much as possible.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0