Sienna - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2009

Sienna

After packing up we couldn't find the GPS. Unpacked absolutely everything again but still no GPS. We were just about to go off without it and Tricia looked up in a tree and there balanced in the branches was the GPS - blame the wine we had for lunch for that!

We ere on the official Via F this gradually became very steep, narrow and gravelly so we were soon cured of it and got onto small roads to Col Val d'Elsa. Again we only got to the lower town but right to the centre of it where there was a market going on and we got our usual lunch. Had coffee then on the road to Sienna trying but not succeeding very well to keep to small roads. It was steeply up and down mainly through ploughed wheat fields. Finally we got on to the SP5 and were soon in Monteregione where we had another coffee and managed to get a Herald Tribune.

Then it was a long climb to Sienna and finally we got to the very good camping which is someway out of town. We set up in a area that seemed to be mainly occupied by campers and again our neighbour was David. Then it was by bus into the town which was as amazing as always. We spent a lot of time in the Duomo as it had been shut for restoration on our last visit and we were stunned by the marble floor carvings and the paintings in the library. We walked round rhe streets and across the famous Campo. Then with mast the local population it was to the supermarket. Eventually we found our bus back 'home' and we had an excellent meal in the dark and slept well.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sienna in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
The very good camping ground
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a busy place around the Campo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking across the Campo. I would love to be here to see the famous horse race
Heart 0 Comment 0
Isn't the Duomo really beautiful
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tower - I love the stripes
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 1,938 km (1,203 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0