San Giminano: St Lucia Camping Ground - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2009

San Giminano: St Lucia Camping Ground

Into our clean clothes and we were off on the road to Certaldo. It was a beautiful morning with lots of grapes and olives on a lovely swooping downhill. We only went to the lower town and had a coffee and a roll. Saw the lovely upper town that we had walked through a few years previously then on the road to San Gimanano. It was all up hill getting quite hot as we neared the top. Walked into the gate of the amazing town. It was really full of tourists and there was a market on. When we tried to get accommodation at the information we had no luck so on we went to the excellent camping ground at St Lucia about 2km away. We set up our camp then at around 4pm walked back into town. There were lovely views and by now it was much emptier but still lots of visitors. One of our main aims was to get some food which was not easy in this tourist town but at last got some at an inflated price. At lunch we had had a bottle of the local white vernaccia which was quite nice but did put us out of action for am hour or so.

We had a good meal and met a delightful young Belgium cyclist, David, whowas also riding to Rome. Didn't get much sleep as the noise was ghastly.

On the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Certaldo
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gate into San Giminano
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pushing up the main street
Heart 0 Comment 0
The market
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were heaps of tourists
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lovely camping spot
Heart 0 Comment 0
David
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view of San Gimanano as we walked back into town
Heart 0 Comment 0
The signs we were following
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we did our walking tour of Tuscany this is where we stayed - much more upmarket!
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Gimanano when a lot of the tourists had departed
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 1,896 km (1,177 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0