Gambassi Termi - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2009

Gambassi Termi

We set of on a fairly busy road but it was wide and OK. Later it became twisty, narrow with lots of ups and downs and worst of all lots of trucks - it was terrible. We eventually got off at Pont de Cappione an amazing canal and dam system made between 900 and 1200. Some would have been there when Sigeric the Serious went by. Then almost straight into Fuccechio where there was a massive market selling pets, clothes and dollar specials. We got a set of small brushes that we had been looking for to clean up our gear before we head home.

On to San Mineato Basso and then San Mineato which was a significant push but well worth it as it was a gem. More coffee and we got the people in the information to make a booking for us at Gambassi Termi. It was lots of downhill after that GREAT. We saw a German lady pilgrim and on we went to Dogana where we stopped for our lunch of bread, cheese, nectarines and beer.

It was only 8km from there to Gambassi but it was all steeply uphill as the town is at the top of a hill. There were vineyards and part way up a winery with tractor and trailer loads of grapes coming in, the striking thing was that many of the grapes were not properly ripe.

When we arrived at the hotel the woman was most unwelcoming and said we had no booking. Had we not made it at the Tourist Information we would have thought it a result of Tricia's rather dodgy Italian. Then she made a sudden switch brought us towels and said we could use her washing machine and drying room. Had an explore of the town and decded to eat at the hotel - we skipped the seconda!

The ancient canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The market
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soon we will start to go up
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Miniato Basso
Heart 0 Comment 0
And we have to get to here
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Miniato
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grapes arriving at the winery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grapes - not all ripe
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gambassi Termi
Heart 0 Comment 0
You feel you are on top of the world here
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,876 km (1,165 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0