Buonconvento - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2009

Buonconvento

Packed by 8.30 and into Sienna which was not easy. Finally got into the city and walked through stopping in the Campo for a really high priced coffee (12E) Then after some confusion we got on to the way out via the Ponto Romano. We got some Sienna cake and finally by 10.00 were on our way on the SR2 heading for Rome. Through ploughed fields with the occasional grapes along the valley bottom. There were also some nice little towns and the traffic was not too bad. Lunch was at Ponte d'Abria then at Monteroni we got the woman in the Information to reserve accommodation in Buonconvento which was just as well as there was a massive Fiesta on.

In the evening there was a village dinner put on by the locals and the lady in the hotel kindly booked us places at it. What an extraordinary meal it was. It seemed like chaos and disorganisation when we arrived then we were seated at a table with 6 others. After that it was a model of organisation . We paid our 18E and our waitress who was about 13 took over(the local kids were doing the waiting). The meal was delicious antipasta, gnocchi, porchetta then a dolci all made by the local women. The wine was a great red from nearby Montalcino and the wine maker was at our table. There was loud, loud talk, music and a thoroughly festive atmosphere - I think we were the only non locals. The festivities went on well into the night and we were well aware of them as we had to sleep with our windows open as the air cond was on the blink.

Heart 0 Comment 0
However do you get out of Sienna?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As well as being delicious the meal was a fantastic experience
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 1,969 km (1,223 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0