San Quirico d'Orca - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2009

San Quirico d'Orca

Breakfast was included in our 80E so we made the most of it and got away later than usual. We were back on the SR2 which was quiet at first then busier with lots of motorbikes racing each other. It was through ploughed fields and small patches of grapes and olives - very pretty really. Coffee was at a Brunello village (Torranier) and then on to San Quirico which we reached before 12.00. The next place with accommodation was a long way on and this was such a pretty, ancient walled town so Tricia rang and got us accommodation. We were rather surprised to find that it was above a garage. However when we got to the room it was lovely and the view out the back window was marvellous - vineyards, olives, white rabbits, hens and a goose. 'A Room With a View'. After a beer, some white wine that I had been carrying and our lunch it was time for a siesta while the Singapore Grand Prix went on in Italian. Hamilton was first for McLaren, Toyoto 2nd and Renault 3rd.

Then up to the town which was a 10minute walk. There were walls all round it, narrow streets, some souvenir shops and most importantly a gelato shop. There were lots of locals sitting around and surprisingly the town hasn't yet been discovered by tourists. We were trying to work out how we were going to get into and trough Rome, how to use the remaining 10days we had (hence the very short days) and how we would pack up our bikes.

Arriving at San Quirico
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel didnt look so impressive
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bar man was very friendly
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our room
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking out our window
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the churches
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 16 km (10 miles)
Total: 1,985 km (1,233 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0