Montepulciano - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2009

Montepulciano

Had breakfast then round the back with the two white rabbits, the hens and the goose to get our bikes. We loaded up and decided to take a side trip to two hilltop towns Pienza (9k) and Montepulciano (22k). The road took us up and down through ploughed wheat fields, it was quite steep with the occasional vineyards and olive groves - very attractive. We got to the lovely old town of Pienza around 9 and had a good time exploring it. The church had a pre 1500 Madonna and various other art treasures. There we met a group of tourists from Dunedin. We loaded up with bread and then it was on a similar attractive road to Montepulciano. Some of the hills were too steep for us to ride up especially the last kilometre which was just straight up. Finally into the Duomo Square while I watched the bikes Tricia went into the information to find accommodation and finally came out having found a room in the centre for 80E The Duomo was marvellous with a 5th century tryptic and other great art.

Roberto at La Terrace Hotel was very friendly and the room lovely. we showered then sat on a seat in the shade to eat our lunch before a siesta then at 4pm hit the town. Lots of tourists and we hade a lovely stroll, on our way back to base visited the little round church with the large dome that was just below us - there was rather an ancient congregation. We were to eat along the same road and spent some time plotting our way out and back onto the VF - not that we were far off - I am sure many pilgrims came to Montipulciano over the years.

On the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 2,007 km (1,246 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0