Camping Roma - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

October 5, 2009

Camping Roma

Next morning we set off to the Vatican in the bus. There were unbelievable traffic jams which made us very pleased thet we had ridden across Rome on a Sunday. Finally we got to the Vatican and went to The Opera de Pelligrini to get our Testimoniums. One office lady attended to our passports and got us our Testimoniums. An old nun looked into her computer screen the whole time, there was no fanfare of trumpets the reception was definitely underwhelming.

We had about a week in Rome and certainly made the very most of it. We walked and walked visiting all the well known sights including some lesser things that are favourites of ours such as the dear little church up the hill behind the Vatican and near the Childrens Hospital. Another such that ALL visitors to Rome should visit is the Icecream Factory. This is our very favourite, it is not far from the main railway station, close to a hotel we had stayed in on another trip to Rome but unfortunately a long way from Camping Roma, it took us a bus ride and several changes on the Metro to get there but you are well rewarded as never in my life have I tasted such delicious Gelato. We made several trips. One advantage of course is that we went through the railway station with its English language book shop and we were hungry for good reading material after the drought of the last weeks (this was before we had kindles).

Camping Roma itself was superb accommodation. After a couple of days our bungalow was no longer available as the place was overrun by American Nuns who had come for the Beatification of 5 saints including the founder of the Little Sisters of the Poor. We moved to a 'pre-errected tent' and this was even better and very, very cheap. It was quite large with a wooden floor, electricity and two beds made up with spotless linen. We had to use the communal bathrooms but this was no problem. Everything at Camping Roma is spotless, The grounds have lovely shady trees, there are two swimming pools, free wifi, extremely pleasant and helpful staff, an excellent restaurant and across the road a huge and excellent supermarket - it is on a bus line with buses going every few minutes to connect with the Metro. We would certainly recommend it as a great place to stay if you are in Rome.

The thing that I think of most when I think back on Rome is the Saga of the Bike Boxes - I will tell you that tomorrow!

St Peters Square
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Ice cream Factory
Heart 0 Comment 0
We seemed to have a need to go there most days. Have a look at the cyclists tan on my arms, it looks as if I am wearing long brown gloves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the metro
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is our pre-erected tent, it doesn't look at all glamorous but was so comfortable. Note the pile of cardboard we were still at the stage when we thought we would have to make boxes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

WE HAVE VERY FEW PHOTOS OF ROME BECAUSE KEN WAS PICK POCKETED ON A BUS AND THE CAMERA TAKEN BUT WE WERE VERY LUCKY AS WE HAD JUST CHANGED THE MEMORY CARD AND IT WAS BACK AT BASE

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0