Rome: WE MADE IT - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2009

Rome: WE MADE IT

We loaded up and were away by 9.00 expecting to stop at La Storta. The roads were fairly quiet and the countryside attractive with some cattle outside and some well looked after olives. There were a couple of cellars and some winemaking going on. We came to Formello were the traffic was ++ so we had a coffee and pressed on to La Storta, it was very early, only 10.30 and the place a mess of traffic. Wondered if it would be even worse on a Monday morning so we decided to push on. Along the Via Casia at first with very heavy traffic, I (Ken) had to ride with the book in one hand and we stopped every 1km or so to check the route and also tried to keep together because getting separated in Rome with no base would not have been good.

We finally got nearer to the centre and the traffic was slower. Asked some people on the roadside for directions - one old bloke was great and directed us to the 'Vaticano' to see 'el Papa' After many twists and turns we arrived and were met by hoards of people and 'el Papa' was out on his balcony waving. Who had told all of Rome and the Vatican that we were arriving ! Then it dawned on us it was midday on a Sunday when the Pope makes is weekly appearance. It was a struggle to get into St Peter's Square at first but as the crowds cleared we got in and got some one to photograph us. We had made it! we had followed the ancient route of Sigeric the Serious all the way to Rome and I(Tricia) had once more learnt to ride a bike.

Now it was time to find the camping. Eventually we found the Via Aurelia and followed that for 5-6km. It was steep, busy and had lots of lights. Eventually we came to a sign to say that we were leaving Rome (we had riden right across it) So we took the next exit and started to ride back in to Rome and after about 1 or 2km saw the sign for Camping Roma.

It is a large well organised camping ground with lots of huts etc. We got a 'bungalow' with 3 bunks, toilet and shower and of course electricity. It was really very good and we were paying 42E a day. We did the washing, had a swim and a very nice meal in the restaurant complete with a bottle of Dolcetto from Monticino.

Leaving for the last lap
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look what we saw in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camping Roma reception
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bungalow
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 2,165 km (1,344 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0