Finding Bike Boxes in Rome - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2009

Finding Bike Boxes in Rome

We had a lovely Monday morning exploring Rome then at lunch time back to base for our lunch of bread, cheese, beer and then we decided to face the problem of getting boxes for our homeward journey. Tricia got on the internet and found the address of a bike shop so back on the bus and the metro and the first thing we saw beside the tiny shop was a bike box sitting on the pavement outside. As we were examining it a man arrived to open up the shop after the siesta time. Yes we could have it if we took it straight away. He explained that the shops are very small, they cant store empty boxes so just put them out on the pavement for disposal. He told us of another shop nearby but no luck. So we decided to part, Tricia thinking post boxes and me to get the dam thing back to base.

My trip was a nightmare. It was easy on the Metro and carrying an empty bike box across crowded Roman streets is a wonderful way to stop the traffic. Getting off the Metro however I came out a different exit and couldn't find the bus park. I asked people, most didn't know and then one man confidently sent me off in completely the wrong direction. By this time I was completely disoriented. Finally a young man pointed me in the right direction. By now it was 5.30 and there were masses of people around all trying to get on to buses. To my surprise the driver let me on with it and I wedged myself in the back of the bus, it was completely full and I am sure one or two people couldn't get on because of sll the space I was taking up with my box.

I (Tricia) took off on what turned out to be a completely useless search for the box shop. Eventually I gave up and decided to go home. When I got to the bus stop what should I see but this strange sight of this man complete with an enormous box trying to get on a bus. No it wasn't Mr Bean it was Ken so I hopped on the same bus, luckily no one saw there was any connection between us and we arrived home together ready for a glass or two of wine.

I will never think about Rome without thinking about boxes. Ken had dreadful dreams about them all night so when we woke we decided to put off our planned trip to Cassino for another day and get on the hunt for another box. One of the men at camp had told us of a place right across town. We were on the buses at 9.00am but as we went to change trains at Termini we saw a huge sign for Decathalon so why not go there. I took down the address then on to MetroB then off to the second to last stop on the line. We had no trouble finding the correct bus to take but of course had no idea where to get off. Everyone was keen to help us but there was one problem the stop they insisted on us getting out at was 2km before the shop so we had to trudge on and on. Then eureka we found it, it was enormous and it was stuffed full of bikes but NO they insisted their bikes didn't come in boxes!! once again we were out of luck but a least we didn't have to walk back, we just had to wait for the traffic jam to clear enough for the bus to get through. What next? We would go to the airport on a very slow train. YES if we had bikes in boxes the would wrap them and possibly they would wrap them without boxes but NO they didn't have any boxes. Back on the train then Met B and Met A to Vitoria Emanual - the reward was an ice cream at our favourite shop

Wednesday. Everyone is helping us - the bar man, the man at information - we have addresses, goggle maps, they have made phone calls so it was with high hopes that we set off. The concensus of opinion was that we should go to Fratelli Lazerno (the oldest bike shop in Rome). We got off at Republica and with great skill Ken navigated our way there, an interesting walk of around a kilometre. They hadn't sold any bikes that day so no boxes. He told us to come back at each of his closing times (two a day) as it was then he put out the empty boxes. We then decided to go to Lepanto where the Mailbox place was. Back on the Metro then another nice walk. The man there does NOT sell boxes but will pack them for transport 20-30E but we would have to get the bikes there and collect the packed ones etc etc - he was a most unpleasant man. So back to Fratelli for their 1pm closing but on the way we spotted a mattress shop with a load of cardboard outside. No luck at Fratelli - back to the mattress shop where we loaded up with cardboard and back to base. A massive lunch with a bottle of wine and a sleep, the plan was to go back to Frattelli at about 7pm for their next closing. We hit the buses at 6pm but a little twist in the plan we decided to get off at Cipro and visit the two bike shops from Monday and see if they had sold any bikes. We are getting very good at finding bike shops so it was easy - no luck.

Back on the Metro, off at Republica - we had to hurry as it was approaching the closing hour of 7.30. The nice man rewarded us for our persistence and took us into the holy of holies some distance down the road where they store all the bikes - he took a bike out of its box and gave the box to us - it felt as if it was made of gold. So Mr Bean like we set off home though Mr Bean seemed to have gained some brain and we had an easy trip. Back to base a little after 8.30 we had a good meal of Cannaloni stuffed with spinach and ricoota with a nice Sicilian wine and we could spend the evening admiring the boxes.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0