Peiting to Klosterlechfeld - Riding the Romantic Road - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2018

Peiting to Klosterlechfeld

Breakfast in our hotel is excellent with all the trimmings and served with elegance. Altogether, Hotel Alpenblick Pfaffenwinkel is a well run hotel. Yesterday our bags were even carried up to our room for us, a much appreciated service!

Even the hotel has gone baroque.
Heart 1 Comment 1
A candlelight breakfast
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltFancy! :) That starts your day off nicely!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Indoors as well as in the countryside, crucifixes are common - here in the breakfast room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These gentlemen are in their traditional Bavarian Sunday best - on their way to church or the pub? (Not in focus and I cut off their feet! I'm always in a hurry when taking picctures of people without their permission.)
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretPerhaps fancier stockings underneath the trousers of the gentleman in the center of your photo? The crease is not what you would expect for “bare legs”…Such an uplifting photo! The lederhosen is quite fun.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

 It's again warm and sunny. Today I make sure not to forget to put on sun screen. I have a bit of sunburn on my arms from yesterday. We have some more climbs in the Alpine foothills for a start. Our first stop is in Schongau, a small town with a lovely market place and historic buildings. Today we experience a market that takes place once a year, with venders from all parts of Bavaria.

On our way to Schongau we encounter a large construction site. The good news is that there is a temporary bridge for bicycles and we don't have to follow the long detour for motorized traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltVERY helpful that they put that temporary bridge in!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Market is just being set up, it's still early-morning peaceful, the venders chat with us and tell us what it used to be like in the old days.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Church tower and flower stands at the market
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Schongau
Heart 2 Comment 0
Facades in Schongau
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Schongau
Heart 3 Comment 0
A view of Schongau's rooftops
Heart 1 Comment 0
We move along at a slow pace, stopping often for photos.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltTaking pictures makes you appreciate the bike trip even more...to slow down and really SEE things.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Beautifully crafted barn doors
Heart 3 Comment 0
In German a heuwender, I had to look it up in English and found tedder. So I guess it's a tedder. (Couldn't figure out how to insert this picture where it belongs without re-uploading the previous batch.)
Heart 1 Comment 0

In the course of the day, we cross the Lech five times. The first time was before Schongau, the second time involved a 15% climb of two kilometers, at least that's what the sign said. It was work, even on an e-bike. For us anyway. Before Landsberg our route follows the banks of the Lech. Again, I don't find the river path as pleasing as riding over the hills with open views to the horizon. It's Sunday and as we approach the town the number of cyclists and people our for a stroll increases.

Today is the hottest day so far and our first aim in Landsberg is to find a shady place to sit for lunch.

Landsberg's Market Square. The fountain is a perfect place to sit with an icecream and cool off.
Heart 4 Comment 0
One of Landsberg's many beautiful facades
Heart 3 Comment 1
Cooling off
Heart 2 Comment 0

We now follow the Lech Bike Path until we reach our destination for the day, Klosterlechfeld, where we have booked a room for the night. There are signs for a bike path on either side of the river. It's hard to know which side will be better so we stay on the route I had planned at home, first on the left bank, then on the right. We cross the Lech a final time to get to Klosterlechfeld.

There weren't many people on this side of the Lech - I guess they knew which side was better.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Michel FleuranceAre you using some kind of polarisation filters on your camera ?
All your pictures are so nice and give me the feeling that an artist was the painter. I am not gifted in taking photos but I do appreciate your work.

Fields with the cows, yes I can almost listen to their bells.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Michel FleuranceThanks for your kind comment! No, I don't use filters, but I am a firm believer in post processing. For example: Often during the day the sun is too strong, the shadows too dark. The camera doesn't see what I see. So I'll lighten up the shadows. I also don't like wonky horizons, so I straighten them. I have taken several photography classes - it's something you can learn, you don't have to be gifted.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Pilgrimage church in Klosterlechfeld, our last stop for the day - and of course it has a baroque interior.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Beautiful iron work on the door to the church
Heart 3 Comment 0
Close-up of the old iron lock on the door
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltTHAT'S a serious lock!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

After riding through resendential neighborhoods, we reach our hotel on the edge of town. We are in an area that was planned as a commercial zone with enormous parking lots, a department store that never opened, a pizzeria that had already closed and a general look of desolation. The hotel is nice enough but the location is anything but attractive. We find a place to eat within walking distance and call it a day.

The evening sky was lovely.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 108 km (67 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0