Klosterlechfeld to Gersthofen - Riding the Romantic Road - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2018

Klosterlechfeld to Gersthofen

Today on Monday there is a little more life to be seen out our window. There are cars parked outside of Aldi,  and that is where we are headed, too, to get some provisions for our ride and water. We are starting into another warm day.

Our hotel commanded a view over a large and deserted parking lot. It was very quiet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we are to follow the Via Claudia Augusta in the beginning, later we will return to the Lech. The ancient Via Claudia Augusta was one of the most important Roman roads that crossed the Alps, connecting the Adriatic in Italy with the Danube in southern Germany.

Just a few meters from our hotel are fields of wheat, and the beginning of the bike path.

We are on the bike path immediately. How long will this tractor track go on, we are wondering.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The track eventually morphs into this, the official Via Claudia Augusta, with a good dose of gravel. It is well signposted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
"Via Claudia closed until completion" - no problem since there was a dirt path running parallel and neither of the paths were meant for fast travelling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Information areas with benches along the bicycle route. Here a replica of a milestone from the Via Claudia Augusta with the text translated into German.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are not sure we are relieved to get off the rough surface of  the Via Claudia. Our bicycle path is now paved, but next to a busy road with industry here and there. It is neither country nor city, but there are often fields full of wild flowers next to the road or hedges with dog roses and other blooms that I can't identify. We don't even have to stop to smell the roses, their scent is so sweet and strong. But we do have to stop to take pictures of them.

Roadside treats
Heart 3 Comment 0

We are approaching Augsburg and can either detour into the historic center or bypass it. When we see a bicycle sign pointing to "city center", we decided to follow it. So simple to just follow the signs. Soon it occurs to Janos that we are not on our way to the center of Augsburg, but a smaller town of no interest to us. We retrace our tracks. Finally our route leaves the busy road and we are in a patch of woods where we find a bench for our picnic and the sound of birds in the tree tops.

Our picnic spot also includes a crucifix - this is Bavaria.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Since today's ride is very short and hasn't been the most interesting so far, we are now in favor of riding into Augsburg. It is the third-largest city in Bavaria after Munich and Nuremberg with a population of 286,000. It is a warm day for city cycling. We reach the center easily enough on bicycle lanes and spend some time wandering around the historic part of town.

The Cathedral of Augsburg together with the Basilica of St. Ulrich and Afra is one of the city's main attractions.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Interior of the Cathedral: in Romanesque style, but with 14th-century Gothic additions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
No baroque here - calming simplicity
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltPretty and ornate pews! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Augsburg
Heart 3 Comment 0
Augsburg pedestrian zone - catching a bit of shade
Heart 3 Comment 0

After our urban interlude, we trace the way back to our route which now follows the Lech. We are again on gravel paths until we reach the bridge over the river and to our hotel in Gersthofen.

This was our shortest day and perhaps the least interesting in spite of our stopover in Augsburg. Too much traffic and too hot to enjoy the city. Our hotel, Stadthotel Gersthofen, is in a somewhat non-descript town, but it is very comfortable and has a fine restaurant with an outdoor terrace.

As usual, no pictures from the end of the day. On our next trip I will make a point of taking some pictures at the finish.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 147 km (91 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0