Over planning - is there such a thing? - Our slow roll around Canada 2022 - Part 1 - CycleBlaze

April 12, 2022

Over planning - is there such a thing?

I'm doing exactly what I had hoped I wouldn't and that is over planning. But my friend Gary said, "Go with your strengths." Such a wise man.
 
So I've plotted out our general route to Winnipeg with potential campsites along the route and other accommodations- we've reserved a few already. Love the senior discount but that will end with the high season usually mid June.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm concerned with a couple of stretches along this route where services and accommodations are scarce. There will have to be some big mileage days  unless we decide to wild camp, which I'd rather not do. I like a bathroom or outhouse and also being around other campers lessens our odds of being picked by Mr. Grizzly to come for dinner.

 This has me worried but I know it will work out. 

Weather and time permitting we have been out training on the bikes. We started to go for short rides  with weight in the panniers. We were expecting it to be noticeable harder going uphill but we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't that bad. My bike did feel twitchy at first and felt more cumbersome when I was taking off from a stop. I didn't ride with front panniers last year, just rear ones. 

Okanagan Lake - it will be nice when the leaves start to show their green
Heart 2 Comment 0

On Friday we went for a fully loaded 50 km ride to Armstrong. Rob had an appointment with the optometrist to see why his eye squirts like a geoduck. He will be sent to see a specialist and hopefully this will be resolved before we leave.

I have a little bit more gear to add to this. A dry bag on the back with our camping stools and tarp.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerGood looking rig!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Leslie and Rob CookeTo Keith A. SpanglerThanks Keith - I really like my bike
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
You know you are in cowboy country when the car wash is built to look like a barn
Heart 0 Comment 0

A fellow cyclist wearing a white hard hat, work coveralls and riding a retro bike came and chatted with us. He was an interesting guy and told us tales of his past cycle tours. I love being out on a bike and having these encounters.

On the return my left knee started feeling sore  and remained that way  for 2 days afterwards. I think the cause was a combination of incorrect saddle height and position. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

I rested it  and went out on the bike today to see how it feels. No problems even riding into a head wind. Mind you, I had no weight on the bike.

Our friends in Nanaimo reported that it snowed last night. I've packed lots of warm clothes. I hope it's enough.  We have just over 4 weeks to go. Plenty of time for the weather to warm up. I know we are going to be riding in the rain but I'm not sure how we'd deal with snow. I saw on the news that we are experiencing 10 degrees below normal for this time of year.
  

We are looking ahead at the weather forecast and hoping we can get out for an overnighter to ride fully loaded and test out the new tent and sleeping bags but it's not looking promising.

Chance of snow!
Heart 0 Comment 0

I've been enjoying reading all the journals here on Cycleblaze and appreciate the effort fellow cyclists  put in to writing about their adventures especially after a long day of touring. I hope I have the energy to do the same when it's my turn.

Enjoy your rides.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0