The fun of planning - Our slow roll around Canada 2022 - Part 1 - CycleBlaze

The fun of planning

Our world feels all topsy-turvy and we need a goal to focus on.  A lot has changed (for everyone)  in the past 2 years.  Luckily we continue to be in good health although last year we both had separate episodes, months apart, of Transient Global Amnesia.  Such a weird and disturbing experience, but luckily, is typically a one-off.  Cause unknown but my guess would be stress induced.

At this point I'm not sure if we are inviting more stress into our lives by trying to plan a big tour.  I do think it gives us something to look forward to and train for, which is a positive. 

After the disappointment of a cancelled tour to Europe in 2020 and the chaos that ensued afterwards we decided our best bet for a bigger tour to actually come to fruition would be to cycle in our own country.

So now that the decision has been made - the fun part begins! Planning our route and gathering and organizing our gear.

Oh Canada you are big
Heart 2 Comment 0

I am sitting here reluctant to make this journal public because that makes it just that much more real.  And that scares the heck out of me.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Rachael AndersonGlad to see someone else making travel plans! Transient Global Amnesia sure is interesting.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Leslie and Rob CookeTo Rachael AndersonI'm a planner that's for sure! Yes our amnesia incidences were.....something I don't want to repeat. The mind is a funny thing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bob KoreisI've been reluctant to go public with mine because I tend to be skeptical until something actually happens. That being said, the trip has been in the planning stage for over two years. Guess I need to take the plunge as well.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Leslie and Rob CookeTo Bob KoreisI know how you feel Bob. So many things have been cancelled these past 2 years that it has been a challenge in trying to plan anything. I thought if I put it out there, perhaps it would have a better chance of materializing. So tell me, where are you headed?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bob KoreisPuglia. Tickets are purchased and reservations made for the first half and the last couple of days. Bologna for three nights because, well, Bologna. Then train to Trani, assemble the bikes, pick up my brother's rental bike in Bari, and then a loop down to Leuca. Gravina, Matera, Martina Franca, Taranto, Guagnano, Gallipoli, Leuca, Castro, Otranto, Lecce, Monopoli, Bari, Ruvo, and back to Trani. Planned with food, olive oil, wine, and history for stops. Our hostess in Guagnano had some excellent recommendations for places to eat during our trip. Still waiting to hear whether or not we will be able to do lunch at Antichi Sapori in Montegrosso. They might have a closed function the day we have scheduled for it.

Granted some of the Google Street View images go back over a decade, but it's been a good resource for looking at conditions on routes I've considered. It also helps me to know what important intersections will look like and which path to choose.

I guess I need to get to work putting this into a trip journal outline.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Leslie and Rob CookeTo Bob KoreisOh sounds wonderful! Yes you really should get going on that journal. I look forward to following your adventure.
Our cancelled plan in 2020 included some of northern Italy. I'm watching some videos from a couple who are travelling through the area you are going. Looks stunning.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago