We start our journey along the Inn: It is good to be back on bikes - and the ABs beat the French - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2011

We start our journey along the Inn: It is good to be back on bikes - and the ABs beat the French

There was no service on at the Dom last night. Enough said.

Today was the start of our next river, the Inn. What a lovely and varied day's cycling it has been. Basically the cycle route follows the Inn fairly closely. It is a big river where it joins the Danube and has been dammed to make a series if hydroelectric lakes. The track is mostly unpaved but so far hasn't been so bad and it avoids any roads with significant amounts of traffic on them. It has been almost perfectly signed which is a great help as our map for this part isn't particularly good. The countryside is the usual pristine Austrian countryside and the villages and towns charming and immaculate. One particularly beautiful one we passed through was Scharding. In the parking by the river were lots of tour buses and the little town itself had great groups of people walking around it and admiring all the intrictately painted buildings. This should have been a warning to us not to stop for coffee but we did. The coffee was fantastic and there was a large amount of it beautifully served but it was 4.50Euros a cup - the most expensive yet.

We have stopped for the night in the town of Braunau and are staying in a hotel looking out on the town square. This is in Austria so we have the advantage of WiFi , from here we cross into Germany where it is so hard to find.

Stop Press - I have just found out that Hitler was born in this town - there is a big meeting tonight to decide what to do with the house.

Early morning along the Inn
Heart 0 Comment 0
We wondered how he got there but then saw he was a statue
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely house in Scharding
Heart 0 Comment 0
Expensive coffee
Heart 0 Comment 0
The track was not all easy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bernie would love to travel like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town gates of Braunau - the town Hitler was born in
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rathaus of Braunau
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 2,962 km (1,839 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0