Passau again: The end of the trains thank goodness - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2011

Passau again: The end of the trains thank goodness

Today was the second of our repositioning days and thank goodness the end of our train travel - it is not relaxing with a heavily loaded bike. The good news was that we didn't get on any train going in the wrong direction - a real plus! Our first train was an ICE train bound for Saultzburg, we needed to be booked on this as they carry very limited bikes. The bikes are hung from meat hooks in one tiny area, they needed to of course be completely unloaded and our assorted bags with us to our booked seats in the next carriage. We had one change to make with a minute to get everything off the first train then seven minutes to load our bikes and get to the appropriate platform. Then as the train pulled in, in the one minute it was at the station, find the bike carriage load our bikes onto the train and collapse. We were lucky as this station had a lift so we didn't have to deal with the usual stairs and also the carriage was at almost platform height so we didn't have to unload the bikes to get them on. This was a small suburban train and very user friendly, we didn't even have to hang up the bikes and just sat in the carriage with them. Passau was the end of the line so we had all the time in the world to unload and then negotiate the steps to the outside world.

We have had a really lovely afternoon in Passau. Yes it is packed with tourists but is such a manageable size. We wandered the pedestrian streets, They are packed with cafes and bars with tables under umbrellas in the beautiful sunshine. It always amazes me that these are constantly packed no matter what time of the day. It is as if some people are eating all the time. I changed back the rest of my Hungarian money, glad to recover from my decimal point error! The bikes had a special treat, we took them into a bike shop for a 'make over'. They came out after their afternoon in their day spar looking very pleased with themselves, all cleaned up, new brake pads (brakes may be important on the Dolomites), oiled and I hope fit for another 1000km.

We of course visited the famous Dom, I have never seen a church with such extravagant decorations. We noticed that there was a service at seven so we will go in the rather vain hope that ken may hear the organ he has been wanting to hear for so many years. Keep your fingers crossed and I will tell you tomorrow if we do

Back in Germany so no WiFi!

Such indignity
Heart 0 Comment 0
I dont know why he left his helmet on - perhaps he thought he was going to be hung on a hook too
Heart 0 Comment 0
this shop window was full of the most beautiful little 'doll's houses'
Heart 0 Comment 0
The flower seller who loves pigeons
Heart 0 Comment 0
Constant eating and drinking
Heart 0 Comment 0
We start travelling a long this river, the Inn, tomorrow
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cruise liners were tied up all along here
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 3 km (2 miles)
Total: 2,889 km (1,794 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0