Half way between Blois and Orleans: We went too far. - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2011

Half way between Blois and Orleans: We went too far.

When we were leaving Montlouis sur Loire this morning they were setting up the market. There was a very strong smell of fish and yummy looking stall just being unloaded selling cheese and fruit. We had about all the food we could carry so we just had our usual stop at the boulangerie for or lunch time bagette.

Amboise was just about 14km away and it was a very pleasant ride to there. The town was full of people - a huge bus load had just been disgorged and they were making their way like ants to the chateau. It was a bit early for coffee for us so we pushed on climbing up to the top of the chateau and getting a view from that as well. We began to think that we would miss out on our morning coffee altogether as none of the tiny hamlets we came to had a bar. Eventually however we came to Chaumont sur Loire and there in the main street we found a very gentile Salon de The. We sat on pink chairs at a blue table amongst sweet peas and hollyhocks sipping our coffee out of fine china cups. I think we rather overstressed the system asking for coffee rather than tea as it took her almost half an hour to make the very good filter coffee. The good news was that it only cost 1.5Euros a cup. After that we pushed on to towards Blois. It is wonderful approaching Blois slowly from the other side of the river - the view you get is wonderful.

Arriving in the Blois was rather a dilemma - it was marginally early to stop but the next place with any obvious accommodation was a long way away. We made the wrong decision and after a look around on we went. The track was mostly good but by the time we arrived here in Beaugency we were both exhausted. A 93Km day following a 101km one is a bit much for our aging bodies. Found a very cheap hotel 39Euros. We are now, after a welcome shower relaxing before we go and eat. Ken is watching a program in French on the history of the lawn mower.

Ken amongst the sweetpeas and holyhocks
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Blois - no we haven't got rid of the bikes in favour of motor cycles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nearly at Blois
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not such a lovely sight
Heart 0 Comment 0
In this country the cars actually take notice of this and share the road
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 93 km (58 miles)
Total: 588 km (365 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0