We pass Orleans: A more sensible distance - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2011

We pass Orleans: A more sensible distance

We were delighted with the email we received this morning. We had entered our 2010 Dolcetto in the NZ International Wine Competition and were absolutely thrilled to hear it had been awarded a silver medal - particularly because the completion is open to wines from all countries. We have around 100cases of it but haven't released it yet - will do so when we return - perhaps an open day before Xmas? The other good news is that it seems our plane bookings have been sorted out and we are confirmed flying out of Venice rather than Istanbul.

Last night's hotel was great and we had a lovely meal there. When I am in France there are a number of things I have to make sure I have. Last night I was able to check one of them off. I had andoulette (? Spelling). Very good it was to - a massive tripe sausage which I did justice to.

We had a gentle ride along the Loire, easy and flat. Stopped early for a coffee at Meug-sur-Loire. A big cup but the price was high 2.30Euros - pretty good but a bit weak. We were befriended by a French woman of about our age. She was intrigued by our trip and keen that we should come and stay with her, but we had only done about 12km and it was before 9am. Mercie Madame vous ete tres gentile.

Biking on the Loire a Velo is really a family affair and we see more and more families biking and camping. Their modes of transport vary. Often Mum and or Dad is on a tandem with a small child behind who may or may not be pedaling. Really quite small children who cant be more than about 7 are valiantly riding along on their own bikes looking very fresh and full of vim and vigour. There is also a way of attaching small bikes to a big bike as if the are trailers and this happens often. They can be detached when they arrive and the kids can ride around. Very small children, toddlers and babies are in enclosed trailers, usually towed by Dad. One such trailer had two children in it. These trailers sometimes also have in them the family dog, though I haven't seen any with cats. The amount of gear transported is enormous. The adults tend to have panniers front and back and will also be towing a trailer. Often children also have panniers. I think most of them are going about 40km a day and all seem to be camping. The prize so far goes to the Dutch family with four children the oldest a boy of around 9 and the youngest a sweet little 2 year old girl who like a princess sat up in her trailer. Their camp set up was amazing. They had a huge tent with many rooms and were sitting eating the most delicious looking pasta meal mum had cooked. They had started in Orleans and were riding to the Atlantic - he said that his father had had to get them to the start with a 4 wheel drive and a large trailer for gear. They looked and seemed so happy.

We only stopped briefly in Orleans then pushed on to Chateauneuf sur Loire about another 30km or if like us you get lost 35km.

They won't look quite as racey when they have more than one baby
Heart 0 Comment 0
thetrailers didnt all have children in them
Heart 0 Comment 0
Regrouping
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who would think August with so many cyclists around would be the best time to take a holiday from your bike shop
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 657 km (408 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0