Brisbane - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2011

Brisbane

Saturday in the Wala household is always a blur of sporting activity. First was Matthew's Soccer match at 8.00 Mark is their coach. Then quickly into the car and across town for Charlotte's netball Jane is the coach. These girls are now all almost 10 and it is amazing to see how much skill they have developed now they are moving into spaces and developing a rhythm to get the ball down the court. We speed back across the river to Jacob's Under 12 Soccer game. This is very important as they are second in the league and are playing the top team. We get there just before half time and are in time to see Jacob score. He is certainly happy about this and I will let him describe it. 'I received a through ball and used a step over to get past the defender, dribbled past another and another and used a chip shot to get it over the keeper and put in the top corner'. They win and are now top equal on the table. Charlotte has a cough so is not going to her horse riding lesson, Mark's team has a bye and Jane plays on Wednesday. It is very clear why Australia excels at sport. The number of children playing is huge, it is taken seriously , they are eased into the rules, are competitive but still have a lot of fun and great companionship.

Sunday was lovely and relaxing. Brisbane is such a pretty city situated as it is on the river. The signs of last year's devasting floods have largely gone and its sub tropical charm is once more in evidence. We walked along the river and as usual there were groups of people picnicing and eating at the many outdoor cafes. This is a great time of the year as far as weather is concerned. It is the dry season and as it is 'winter' the temperature is very pleasant in the mid twenties. A family occasion at Charlotte's school and we were off to Brisbane Airport to start our long haul to Paris

Matthew's game
Heart 0 Comment 0
Charlotte shoots a goal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Serious team talk
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jane waiting for an excallent 'take away' coffee at the netball $4.50 Aus which is around 3Euros. It was large, hot strong and without bitterness.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0