Another Corner Turned, However Wobbly! - Rise Again! Fall/Winter 2019 - CycleBlaze

October 11, 2018

Another Corner Turned, However Wobbly!

The tests came back negative for serious infection, blood clot, leg screwed on crooked, etc. The only worrisome one was the CRP (c-reactive protein) which is produced by the liver when there is inflammation. Before the operation, Dodie's level was 3, now it's 6.  10 is the danger line. 3 is high normal. 

The surgeon on Tuesday did not think the knee looked all that bad. Though watching carefully, she was not about to re-open it, unless it would worsen.  By now, Thursday, the antibiotic seems to be controlling whatever it was. 

Dodie was very despondent at first. Even without the latest set back, the recovery has been slower and more painful than it seems it was for others we know. Even if thrown backward, and depressed, Dodie has an underlying toughness. She climbed back on her trainer and got it spinning again. Then today she got really fed up, and we took her and the bike out to the road. 

She half expected to just fall over, but yes, she got it going! Just then our normally fairly quiet road decided to host a swarm of cars. Just what a wobbly invalid did not need!  Still Dodie cycled down to the next intersection, and back.  It didn't feel great, but it happened!

Now if all goes well we will drive down to the nearest actual cycle path. That is 35 km away. (Doesn't North America suck!). We hope Dodie will be able to cycle long enough to make the trip worth it, but even 20 minutes would be something. Baby steps.

What are these guys doing on "our" road?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Made it. Dodie rides again!
Heart 5 Comment 2
Michel FleuranceI was just waiting for this kind of new.
Have a nice weekend.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marvin PaxmanThis looks SO good!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Laurie MarczakWe've seen that inner toughness on hundreds of occasions. There's not much that can sideline Dodie when she is determined.

GO MOM!!

I'll try to corral your ridiculous grandchildren enough for them to give you a Skype cheer this weekend as an advance payment for next Tuesday.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceHurray! So good to see you on your actual bike, Dodie! ❤️
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltYay! Keep it up!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ardell SiegelYou did it! Wobbly doesn’t matter....sending good vibes for continued progress! ardell
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamGreat news it certainly feels good to be on the road even if rather scary
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Michel FleuranceI was just waiting for this good news, and it works !
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonRachael and I are grateful to you for keeping this journal up, even though I’m sure it’s been discouraging at times. We think of you every day, and are encouraged by your progress. Keep it up!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Kathleen ClassenYahoo! And wobbly keeps the cars away. It scares them 👍.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago