Day 33: ....on to Austin - Ride And Seek - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2014

Day 33: ....on to Austin

It's funny the things that stand out in open country like Nevada. Things that you would never notice in areas with trees and rain and bushes and Walmarts, just stand out.

Take mail boxes for example. If you see a mailbox in the suburbs do you think about who lives there? Probably not? But in Nevada when a mailbox appears in the middle of nowhere, with nothing attached to it but a long dirt road to nowhere, you can't help but think about what, or who, is at the other end.

We saw several places like that today--well, 5 or 6 that is. It was a virtual city compared to what we came through the past couple of days. Some farms/ranches/whatever were barely visible and some couldn't be seen at all.

It always made me wonder.

The ride itself was more of the same. Leo is tired of Nevada. I am too, a little, but I liked the wide open places. The last climb into Austin was tough, but we made it, and are camping tonight in the city park. I like city parks usually and this one is no exception. They often have nice grass, with bathrooms and water. If we had gotten here sooner we could have had a shower and/or a swim in the pool, but even without it it's nice.

Tomorrow we head to Middlegate. Until then...

More open country today
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the mailboxes for the mystery houses on the road to nowhere. The address says Austin, but it is 30 miles to Austin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Isnt it obvious that the little guy on the tonka truck tractor signifies farm machinery? Do they really need to write the words too?
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the few Nevada signs that do not talk about mining.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally, the drop into Austin
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 miles (109 km)
Total: 1,943 miles (3,127 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0