Day 24: Hunter gatherer - Ride And Seek - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2014

Day 24: Hunter gatherer

I'm afraid there is not much to write about today, ride wise. Leo is still not up to snuff so we didnt get very far. Though, to be fair we seemed to be climbing all day.

We were heading over the climb towards Boulder. You may remember that climb when I did it in 2010? Its the one where I cheated and got a lift partway up from the really cute cowboy...

Anyway, this time, of course there would be no cheating! Well, no MORE cheating anyway, because we did cheate a bit in Canon City, and then after Hite, but that was any emergency and didnt count.

ANYway. We didnt cheat but we were dragging ass and only got a little ways up the main climb when we hit a campground and Leo wanted to stop. I was just starting to feel good but I Leo looked like tired and a bit pathetic so I gave in, which was probably good because he set up his tent and promptly fell fast asleep.

Which gave me nothing else to do in the middle of the day but some Hunting and Gathering.

Now, if you have never toured on a bike you might not be familiar with the fine art? But Bike Touring Hunter Gathering is the art of gathering things from other campers that you dont want to haul up a mountain. It goes something like this:

Me to a guy in a huge RV: "Do you have any extra Cokes that we can buy? We are on a bike trip riding cross- country and can't carry things like Sodas....."

RV Guy: "A bike trip cross- country!"

And then the usual questions ensue, and usually I come away with two free Cokes. Free because even though I do bring my wallet to pay, which I really dont mind doing, the RV'rs usually wont take the money.

So by the time Leo woke up all groggy and disoriented, I had us each a Coke and a beer to go with our dehydrated spaghetti dinner.

Not bad eh?

And sometimes you dont even have to ask. At one campsite in Colorado we arrived back at our campsite to find 4 beers, left by a group that was rightfully impressed with our accomplishment. Though actually it was too late and we were heading to bed so we returned them, but it was nice they asked.

Still, Hunter Gathering behavior often results in ice cream to free meals. Its a skill worth knowing.

Tomorrow its on to Escallante, and riding the rest of this big damn climb.

Leaving the campground at Capitol Reef. We were not the only ones up early.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at this beautiful tree!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Was a tough day but sure was nice scenery
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leo found another friend. This one was from London and is riding coast to coast. She said she was asked, "....are you carrying a gun to protect yourself?"
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 miles (39 km)
Total: 1,346 miles (2,166 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0