Day 23 - Ride And Seek - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2014

Day 23

Lots of pretty stuff today
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was a delight. Since we are a day ahead, thanks to a lift to Hanksville yesterday, we rolled easy like, to Capitol Reef National Park. It was a pleasant day, not too hot, and winds were light. So we lolly gagged and ambled and all the other things you do when you don't have far to go and are enjoying the ride.

Around lunch time we stopped in Cainville, which isn't so much a town as a confusing dot on the map, because its not really where it says it is, and its no more than a restaurant, a hotel, an RV park and a bakery spread out over miles. But, whatever it is, we stopped at the bakery, which is more like a backwoods shack than a bakery, but has the most fabulous goat yogurt and cheese, mostly because they have 100 goats. They also practice sustainable farming and grow organic vegetables.

"People thought I was crazy when I moved in 20 years ago," said Randy the owner. "Some of them probably still think I'm crazy," he added with a chuckle. "Put I think I've proven myself."

If his food is any guide, I would have to agree.

After finishing our cinnamon rolls we ambled on to Capitol Reef, along the Fremont River valley. Traffic was light at we enjoyed the ride.

We arrived at the park early in the day, and not long after that Jonathan appeared. You might remember Jonathan from yesterdays entry? He was the guy I met while I was standing on the side of the road waiting for rescue.

"We're going to camp here," I told him. "Do you want to join us?"

So the three of us camped in a most beautiful campground in the National Park, in a site next to a French family, so Leo has someone to yammer with in French for a while.

All in all, it was a pretty good day.

One of the goats. I have to say, its milk makes delicious cheese and yogurt!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Randy the owner
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bakery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
That'd be me...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Political comentary, Utah style
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ten people lived in this house back in the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pretty barn inside the park...
Heart 1 Comment 0
Capital Reef Campground with the tents of Leo, Jonathan and yours truly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jonathan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two more eastbound cyclists we met on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 1,322 miles (2,128 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0