Tournon-sur-Rhone to Montelimar - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2023

Tournon-sur-Rhone to Montelimar

We broke our rule of eating at a hotel restaurant twice. This place was so good the first night, so then we searched the map and it turned out this was the highest rated restaurant in the area. Well, okay, let's see what they can do tonight. A wonderful dinner again, and this time we chose the wine from across the river (Tain/l'Hermitage) and it was even better than last night. Due to the long day expected, we just ordered a half bottle. Good idea.

Crozes Hermitage - excellent.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did start out with a wonderful path along the river but then Komoot announced "single track ahead". What? Well, ok, so we followed along and the route got worse and worse so we had to finally walk. It would have been okay with a mountain bike, but not my 100 lb vehicle.

Rock and roll.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then, just as the route improved a bit to dirt track, we come up to tree across the path. We bushwacked a little, and got around this. All in all, we took an hour to go about 2 km. Not the greatest way to start a longer bike ride. At least the weather is super.

Nope. You're not going this way.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once we got through it, I made a quick stop at a boulangerie and sandwich'd up. Marjory had to make due with a bit of cheese and crackers. She'll be hungry tonight!

lunch time!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Nice pathways by this point, and the kilometers melted off as we biked in the 25-30 kph range. Did I mention we had a nice tailwind? Woo hoo! Through a few towns and a lot of old stone houses, with a sprinkling of castles right on the road.

Just a little castle on the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Komoot announced again "single track ahead". We thought "oh no!" but it was fine. It just led us around this large tennis complex and saved us some distance with a shortcut.

Backside of a tennis complex.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then onto some pretty trails with paved surfaces. Our favourite.

Paved trail. No cars allowed. Happy wife. Yay!
Heart 1 Comment 0

In one town they have wrapped the Via Rhona (our bike route) along the riverside of the town with their stone houses to the right. Great trail, and cool seeing how people live here. Lots of bikers using this trail, both local and tourers like us.

Bike trails that, okay, we let the occasional car drive.
Heart 1 Comment 0

France has gone all in on nuclear energy, but in the photo below you may be able to spot nuclear, solar, and wind all being used. The solar panels are used in the parking lot to shade the cars, and you can barely see one blade of a windmill between the two cooling towers, but you might have to zoom in.

A renewable trifecta!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally, to get into Montelimar you have to cross the Rhone on the huge suspension bridge. The one in Tournon was "the oldest in France still being used", this one may well be the longest. Marjory voted for "the scariest" as the wind was howling as we crossed.

Pat gives it a go.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Marjory, happy to see the end.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesDodie, who normally zips accross bridges with no trouble, hates this kind that feels like it sways side to side.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick ParnoMarjory is a bit timid on these bridges for sure, and usually walks across them. I could not believe how long this one was!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

And that was today's ride. Tomorrow will be a little shorter (60 km) so tonight we need hunt a place to eat.

A long day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 685 km (425 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesDid you hunt out any nougat in Montelimar? They have a few good places but our favourite is Savin, on the main street.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick ParnoThat's so cool that y0u know a place there to find nougat! We may check it out tomorrow if its open. Tonight we were too tired to explore much. But if you need to know a good schnapps bar in Salzburg, I'm your man!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago