Montelimar to Piolenc - On the Rhone Again.... - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2023

Montelimar to Piolenc

best trails of the tour

This will be a boring entry because there were no trees down or scary suspension bridges. Just wonderful paved trails and deserted roads through forests and farmland. Okay, there were a few bridges but Marjory didn't have to walk across all of them!

Starting out we got to the river almost right away.

Don't tell me - our 5th bridge and its been one hour?
Heart 1 Comment 0

And the forest started as well. Paved roads, forest, river, flat. Perfect!

Have my packs grown?
Heart 1 Comment 0

We make a turn off another bridge and run smack into a pink shirt club - maybe 300 of them? We don't know what they are up to, but they were having a great time doing it. It took a lot of "ding, dings" to get through them!

The pink shirt club.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesOctober us breast cancer awareness month, so maybe a fundraiser walk or something of the sort.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

Lots of castles today, but usually way up on the hills. This was a small stone house that had fell into disrepair.

1,000 euros. Needs work. Must see to believe!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back into the dark forest - so dark our auto lights were on almost all the time.

Some really massive trees along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then way up on a hill we see some kind of statue. This is zoomed in as far as my iphone can take me, and I still can't quite make it out. Had to look this one up!

A statue? A funny shaped rock?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The arch-angel Michael.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not all shade though. Once it warmed up - here it is 29 C, we entered farm country. Not much growing, pretty well all harvested including grapes. We did see pomegranates growing - that's when you know you no longer in cold country.

Not much growing here!
Heart 0 Comment 0

For a while now, there have been cliffs on the other side of the river, while this side (the accretion side) has been flat farmland. It looks like the cliffs are ending up ahead. And look, another bridge!

Cliffs on the other side of the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

She stops to take a look, but we didn't actually cross this one. I think we crossed about 10 bridges today.

Marjory swearing about the bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here's an interesting field of harvested plants. I think this is lavender, all trimmed short like a shorn sheep. We saw a few fields of this before it struck me what this must be.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We come into the tiny town of Piolenc. Dreading the B&B that could exist in this town, we are very surprised. A cute place with a great room. It's name "Il etait une fois" means literally "there was one time", but translates to "Once Upon a Time" of course.  After staying in dozens and dozens of places over the last couple of years, here's my new list of what I want in a B&B. 

1. kleenex box. I caught a cold in Lyon I think. 2. Enclosed shower. I hate getting the entire bathroom floor wet!  3. Breakfast that includes eggs and granola. Not just croissants (as awesome as they are). 4. Coffee that is not from a machine I line up for. 5. A/C. When it is 29 C, do I need to explain? 6. Kettle and/or coffee maker in room. Not 100% necessary, but appreciated. 7. One of those plug in bathroom heater thingys that looked like pipes so you can hang your laundered bike jerseys on. 8. while I am at it, hangers with big hooks that you can use to festoon your entire room with drying clothes like a Chinese laundry. Lots have those tiny hooks that only work in the closet. 

I think its a modest list, don't you?

The 60 km went by quickly today, and we are looking forward to tomorrow seeing Orange and Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Tonight is Canadian Thanksgiving, and we are meeting up with some friends from Canmore for dinner who are also touring France, so are staying here for the night. Cool, eh?

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 745 km (463 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Anne GallagherAre you able to see Mt Ventoux from your route? Carole K has ridden up that mountain, and so have John & I.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Patrick Parnohi Anne. I don't think so, but we are now inside the walled city of Avignon so can't see much of the horizon! We may get outside tomorrow to take a look around. We had dinner with Val and Greg last night - they had been staying in Bedoin and Greg rode the Ventoux with a friend. I am so glad he rode it before we hitched up, I don't think I am up for that one! You guys are a whole other level.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago