Planes, trains, and automobiles - Rhineland adventure with friends - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2023

Planes, trains, and automobiles

The Rhineland tourists cross the Atlantic

Sunrise at Charles de Gaulle Airport
Heart 0 Comment 0

My ringtone greeted me with an early wake-up this morning. I was in no mood to listen to Bixby recap the news and weather for the day. I did a quick wake-me-up shower and loaded my bags into the Jeep. My friends Lynn and Ellen joined me as we headed to John Glenn Interntional Airport in Columbus for a 7:00 am departure. Coffee was needed as asap! 

The flights to Paris went off without a hitch. Both flights were pretty much on time. Overbooked, late, and canceled flights have been in the news over the past week. The skies in Columbus and NYC were hazy due to Canadian forest fires. I was grateful for an on-time arrival at Charles De Gaulle Airport. 

Strasbourg train station looking pretty sci-fi like
Heart 0 Comment 0

 The TGV high speed rail sliced through the French countryside for a smooth fast ride from Paris to Strasbourg. I arrived at the main Strasbourg train station and caught my first glimpse of the capital of Alsace. The most pleasant gift was the view of my hotel for the next two days, The Grand Hotel, across the train station plaza.  

The morning arrival meant the group’s rooms were not ready. Off to lunch and a little exploration of the city. Room ready, checked-in, showered, and an afternoon nap set the stage for later in the day.  

Barrage Vauban, Petite France
Heart 1 Comment 0
The water really moving along this canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful reflection in the canal at La Petite France
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of La Petite France
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our group ventured out for an evening  walk through La Petit France, Strasbourg's tourist hub along the Rhine and canal. There is a wide assortment if dining and shopping. Dinner was at La Potence, a sidewalk café that featured French fare. The cost was reasonable and the food delicious. The night ended with a stroll around the hotel neighborhood. 

Cyclist tour packet contents
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we pick up our bikes. Eurobike delivered a packet to each rider that was quite thorough, It contained a hard copy of the tour guide that is also available via their app. There are also city maps, regional map, and more. This company is doing an excellent job as of now. I promise that I will give a thorough review at the end of the tour. 

Today's Trivia

Strasbourg is the most bike-friendly city in Fence. Strasbourg is very environmentally-friendly, and is progressive about green ideas and initiatives. It's network of bike lanes circles and intersects the city center, forming a highway for bikes.

Some of the bicycles at Strasbourg's Main train station
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tom on the Rhine

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0