Game on: Canberra to Boorowa - The Reunion Ride - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2014

Game on: Canberra to Boorowa

It's a cool, clear, perfect, windless Canberra spring morning and I am ready to roll. I got back from Indonesia late yesterday from a work trip where I did very little exercise, went to lots of meetings and ate way too much nasi goreng.

Today will be interesting to see how much residual fitness there is. We are aiming to ride about 114 km, but we might pull up early if our fitness is wanting.

My co-rider John is on the way to meet me and another friend is going to ride with us for part of the day.

We could look a bit like this in an hour or so..

This could be John, Alex and me at the beginning of today's ride. Except Alex will be on his recumbent.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride notes:
Day 1
Canberra to Boorowa

Today's ride reminded me that the scent of the countryside is one of the pleasures and discomforts of cycle-touring. Being early spring, the air was warm enough to carry whiffs of canola blossum, wattle flowers, pleasant farm smells and a pervasive fresh grass odour. The downside was the occasional stench of road kill. Roos mainly. Boy were they pungent. On balance, the pleasant smells of spring outweighed the nasties on today's ride.

We set off from central Canberra at about 8.30 am and arrived in Boorowa, about 120 km away, at about 4.30 pm.

This was a reasonably hard ride for a first day and we were well ready to stop. Along the way we rode on an urban cycle-way, then a minor but very busy highway, then for a few, noisy kilometres on Highway 1 then onto the pleasant Lachlan Valley Way. It has lots of traffic but a decent road shoulder most of the way to Boorowa.

Boorowa is a small country town which, like all the area we cycled through today, has a history of wealth based on the wool industry. Up until the early 1990's Australia was still riding on the sheeps' back. That is, wool production was an economic mainstay. Then we fell off the sheeps' back as the market collapsed few decades ago. Country towns like Boorowa suffered the consequences. Twenty years ago it was looking very rundown.

Now Boorowa appears to benefitting from a resurgence in fortunes. It a lovely town.

A few pics of today's ride:

Loaded and ready ready to roll. Only 700 km to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We crossed the state border without incident or need for visas before morning tea on day one.Thanks Alex McNee for the send off and taking this photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Being rugged outdoor types, we honed in on this garden cafe in Murrumbateman. It was the first of many similar coffee stops over the next 6 days.It's rough out here in the wilderness.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bikes resting at the Murrumbateman cafe. John is riding his veteran Surly LHT. Mine is the red Thorn Audax. It goes faster because it is red.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mooching moggy at Murrumbateman
Heart 0 Comment 0
And a closer look at John's Surly. The careful colour coordination of the panniers attracts admiring glances in all the country towns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fired up with coffee we pushed on via the Barton Highway across the Yass River toward Yass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I could tell from the look of steely determination on John's face that we were going to do well over 100 km on day 1.Here he is powering along the Barton Highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yass is mostly well known as the centre for fine wool production. It does have other talents.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are many 1800s buildings in Yass. Wrought iron verandahs have been preserved.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The grand Yass courthouse hints of a rich history built on wool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Exiting Yass across the Yass River. Note the rail bridge. Yass rail station is on the main Sydney to Melbourne line, but it is about 10 km out of town. This spur line is unused.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A finely restored Holden car in Yass.Holdens were Australia's first home brand manufactured car. Started in the late 1940's and the era is about to end with the closing down of the factory near Melbourne.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fairly typical spring roadside view through this region. Rolling hills, pasture, and grassy woodland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Farm dam and pasture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canola crops are in flower this time of year. Canola is grown to produce cooking oil.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Boorowa was our destination for the day. About 114 km from Canberra and we were ready to stop.Note the signature tourism event for Boorowa. It is next weekend.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another grand vintage courthouse. No longer used as a courthouse, it is now a coffee shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our accommodation for night 1. Single rooms in Australian country pubs are a good option for cycle-tourists. Prices range from $40-$80 depending on location and quality.It is a short, fast but comfortable tour.We were carrying tents for this tour but were only intending them for emergency use. Emergencies like not finding pub accommodation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mining equipment passing slowly through town.Shortly after I took this pic., the load dislodged and took many hours to reload and secure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boorowa Creek on the edge of town. Lovely spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Others were travelling with a bit more equipment than we were.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The magpie in spring is a formidable beast. Here is one feeding in Boorowa to build up energy for a day of attacking cyclists and pedestrians.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Upstairs in our grand Boorowa pub accommodation.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 114 km (71 miles)
Total: 114 km (71 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0