Cropping Country: Boorowa to Canowindra - The Reunion Ride - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2014

Cropping Country: Boorowa to Canowindra

After riding 114 km out of the box on Day One yesterday I was expecting to wake up sore. But all was good, and we set off at about 7 am with the goal of covering at least another 100 km.

The previous day we'd both had flat tyres caused by thorns and today the problem continued.
We had plenty of patches and spare tubes and were able to keep moving fairly quickly despite the pesky cathead thorns.

The weather gods continued to bless us with perfect riding conditions.

The day looked a bit like this:

Make no mistake, fine wool production is still a mainstay of the local economy in this region. There are lots of sheep, probably all called Shaun.As a fan of fine merino cycling garments, I am pleased to see that wool growing is doing fairly well after some tough years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fairly typical of the road through here. Good surface with a reasonable shoulder. There wasn't much traffic, but we needed to be vigilant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Classic Australian windmill. They are used to extract underground water.I carefully avoid jousting with these on cycle tours.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rolling hill riding with no end of green pastoral views. Very pleasant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flourishing canola crop
Heart 0 Comment 0
John confirms the accuracy of the sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
Remembering that we are riding across country which has been continuously occupied for about 40,000 years by Aboriginal people who still live throughout the region.This ride is crossing the land of the Wiradjuri. Later we will enter Kamilaroi country which is where I was born and lived until I left high school to move to Canberra.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Contemporary Aboriginal art on the bridge over the Lachlan River at Cowra.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wheat field north of Cowra. The heads of grain are just beginning to form.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking toward Mt Canoblas, a long extinct volcano, and toward the Orange region.Rich basaltic soils mean it is very productive agriculture country. A big variety of crops are grown here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Accommodation in Canowindra. Basic but comfortable 'workers cottage' was available at that the back of this restored pub.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The workers cottage which put a roof over our heads and bikes for night two of the reunion ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of Canowindras streets. It has a distinctive late 1800's look about it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 107 km (66 miles)
Total: 221 km (137 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0