Wormand campground and visit to Leiden - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2018

Wormand campground and visit to Leiden

And a day in the shade at Wormand.

July 27 Friday 12kms

And a day in the shade at Wormand campground and a visit to Leiden

At Wormand  we read in the shade, drink cups of tea until the afternoon when we decide to take a tour of Leiden and change our UK money for Euros- something only railway stations seem to be able to help with. The cycle run around the canals reveals water craft of every shape and size on display. It is  to be a weekend of boating!

A cool corner of the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flower cultivation. Tulips and other flowers from near Amsterdam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycle ride to Leiden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s a weekend on the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gables come in many shapes and sizes in The Netherlands.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When sitting at a canal side bar we strike up a conversation with a young Asian chap from Christchurch  working in Leiden and his Australian and Dutch friend. He has some interesting insights about working in Holland, something you don’t necessarily need Dutch language to do apparently. His  area of work being IT may be the reason for that though.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Leiden is supposed to have around 28 kilometres of canals and 88 bridges.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Storks with a view.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It’s  been a stimulating evening after such a lazy day. On returning to our bikes- kept pretty much in sight, Ann is dismayed to find someone had relieved her helmet of the sun hat covering she has been using. She curses her carelessness at leaving it but then with so many bikes left about... she hopes she can have another forwarded to her. 

We return to our tent in the warm of the evening and watch as the pair of storks settle onto their nest high up on a post in the middle of a cow paddock.

There are times when tenting feels a little like that.

Today's ride: 12 km (7 miles)
Total: 2,484 km (1,543 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0