Unwinding in Udine - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2018

Unwinding in Udine

Rest day and lunch in Udine, the end to our adventure is in sight.

Sunday September 9th.

Unwinding in Udine 

Rest day and lunch in Udine, the end to our adventure is in sight.

Mass at the rather baroque Romanesque style duomo followed by lunch in an attractive little restaurant underneath shady vines close beside one of the fast flowing stream that runs through the city - Ann has two large meatballs in sauce which brings to mind a bullfighter joke and I have a very nice salad with strips of grilled chicken which doesn't remind me of any jokes but we both agree it is the better choice and so I share.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Loggia del Lionello.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Having a river running through town centres must present some challenges but on a summer’s day, it’s particularly appealing.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Heart 0 Comment 0


Following a siesta we walk up to the castle for views- of the city, of the sunset, of the hills we had cycled from. Later down in the city we sit with an ice cream and watch the passeggiata. Families with aged parents and children and couples trying to cope with screamers. Udine seems a quiet, civilised city- there are no garish signs for takeaways of any sort near its centre and no thumping music emanates from restaurants or cafes. And, because of the changes experienced in its long history- prehistoric inhabitation, Turkish rule, then noble families and eventually becoming part of the Italian kingdom in the second half of the 19th century, it presents a rich variety of striking architecture. For this reason it has been a wonderful city for relaxed wandering.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Campanile del Castillo’s golden angel statue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Udine at dusk.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Automaton clock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The archbishop’s palace, now a museum and art gallery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The evening passeggiata.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at our hotel we discuss the imminent end of our current cycle trail. Decision time. Do we continue, starting another trail or finish with the Alpe Adria? We had been keen to try the Paranzana down to Porec in Croatia in order to enjoy the sea.  After consideration of the effort involved in preparing and planning for another trail, we decide that 4 months has been great and probably enough. Accordingly we decide to make a finish in Venice and to fly out on the 19th. This will give us time to enjoy and finish the Alpe Adria cycleway and to make our way to Venice and pack our bikes.

It’s a late night when we finally sleep but there’s satisfaction in knowing we've reached a decision.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0