Udine to Aquileia - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2018

Udine to Aquileia

On to Aquileia and the best campground yet.

 September 10 Monday 54kms

Udine to Aquileia 

On to Aquileia and the best campground yet. 

We spend the early hours organising our route to Venice, accommodation and possible acquisition of bike boxes. Leaving is easy since our bikes are in the garage and we can pack them there and wheel them out seamlessly. The route out of town is also straightforward and well signposted. 

A beautiful day in Udine- farewell to our mirror glass eyesore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside Udine- on a strada bianca.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Heading south towards Aquileia and Grado, the farming landscape stretches away towards the blue distant hills we left a couple of days ago and while not uninteresting, it has none of the drama of the mountainous region of a week ago. The temperature is different too, climbing to 30, but with a slight hint of autumn cool in shady areas.

We stop in the gigantic circular piazza of Palmanova. All is white today as it is empty, but it must radiate heat and light at the height of summer. We stop for a beer at cafe tables on the edge of the piazza and are served by a talkative young waiter who tells us he’s from Parma, ‘Where the ham comes from. Maybe you know it?’ Turns out we do, and praise it wholeheartedly which seems to please him. We’ve noticed this pride in localities several times in Italy.

Palmanova.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The almost deserted piazza at Palmanova.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Heart 0 Comment 0
Palmanova- the back door.
Heart 0 Comment 0


Somehow the cycleway disappears after Palmanova and we are forced onto a rather busy SS road, though traffic gives us plenty of space. Our map tells us that the cycle way runs through the next small town, Sassorollo and there we find it waiting for us.

Fiume Ausa. This region is crisscrossed with many waterways.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


We arrive in Aquileia soon after and locate the campground- shady, pleasant sites and a pool!

Aquileia- the Basilica.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 4,012 km (2,491 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0