Thouars to Samur. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 2 - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2018

Thouars to Samur.

Reprieve from the Cols.

 June 22nd. Friday  48kms

Thouars to Samur.

Reprieve from the Cols.

Yesterday evening as we checked in with Municipal manager, a man and children arrived and the young boy had a shower. This morning the rest of the family were using the sanitaire. Manager explained that they were a gypsy family living by the river and that water and electricity were not yet connected, so they can use the facilities at camp. She had time and enthusiasm to talk - had spent happy time in Australia years ago and visited South Island (Switzerland in the Pacific).

We had had a good breakfast so were sustained until Montreuil-Bellay. Food does play a prominent part in our Velo journey. We are happy when fresh milk rather than UHT is found. The coffee tastes better. This morning's muesli, fruit and yoghurt is a favourite. Despite the cold temperature overnight the tent had no condensation and our washing had dried overnight- a strange phenomenon!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Thouet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a head wind, some hills, and we seem to be on a high plateau. Then down to the River Thouet and up up up to Montreuil-Bellay. Delightful in the lunchtime sun. We seek a sheltered spot for our picnic baguette filled with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, boiled egg and a squirt of Super U mayonnaise. It comes in a tube and is easily transportable.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Montreuil-Bellay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The turreted castle reminds us we are nearing the Loire. Old walls protect the town, and cars still go through the porte d' St Jean.

And on to Samur. Vineyards, chateau, two megalithic stone bridges- still crossable, and then the green route to the city. The Thouet joins the Loire here so we have to find the right river to cross.

Megalithic bridge, still working.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Titanic moment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ile Offard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saumur in distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Flags are flying, the campground entry has a queue. A cyclist in waiting area indicates all full, but then allows that he needs power to charge electric bike! We join the line and are pleased that there has been a cancellation- we can have a night.

We have noticed bike displays and now see the models onback of campers and cars. Vintage Velo. Men have braces and flat caps, women wear frocks with polka dots and petticoats. We recognise bikes and those boxy panniers and headlights which attach to the front mudguard. There are also plenty of children flying about on bikes of various vintages- reassuring to see them since some of these camping grounds have been a little like mobile retirement homes.

Great facilities at Ile Offard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bicycle built for two.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Costumes add authenticity.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,537 km (954 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0